Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which P4 chip should I go for?

• 20-02-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My present P4 1.7 williamette is getting on (does anybody know how far it's possible to push these?) so I'm either going to pick up a new P4 with 512 cache, or try and pick up a s/h one.
    Anyways, I wouldn't have bought the Williamette if I'd realised it's limitations, so what should I be watching out for?

by the way, if anybody is upgrading and wants to offer me there p4 for a fair price, go ahead.

Cheers, Pat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Probably a 2.8GHz Northwood chip with 800MHz FSB. It's €188 on Komplett. The 533MHz version of this chip doesn't support Hyperthreading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Probably a 2.8GHz Northwood chip with 800MHz FSB. It's €188 on Komplett. The 533MHz version of this chip doesn't support Hyperthreading.

Thanks K, Will this give me the best bang for my buck? I'm always wary of buying the latest and greatest, I tend to usually buy an almost recent product thus hopefully saving a few eurons......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,152 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what motherboard do u have if its not new wont support 800fsb cpus

I just picked up an Abit BE-7.
    The FSB is 533, so I'm not sure I'd benefit at all. Chances are, by the time I need to upgrade mobo again, the extra cash will have been wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If your MB supports A 800Mhz FSB then go with the

2.8Ghz 800Mhz FSB Prescott, you can get it here

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

well u cant run a 800fsb cpu on that mate :(

Ur best bet in my opinion is to get either a 2.8 533fsb cpu or a 3.06 533cpu(this has hyperthreading)

Cheers guys, so just to clarify, can I run a 800 in a 533 board? I mean will it run at the 533 speed?
    it would be no harm to future proof if possible.
    If not, do you reckon I'm best off buying an older chip and over clocking it?

cpu will run at 14*133 which is only 1.8, u could move the fsb up to 150 or so but its not worth ur while, anyway the 800fsb chips have been superceded by 800fsb precotts which will be superceded by new socket t prescotts within the year

so ud advise getting a fast 533 fsb cpu matey

Originally posted by Cyrus
    cpu will run at 14*133 which is only 1.8, u could move the fsb up to 150 or so but its not worth ur while, anyway the 800fsb chips have been superceded by 800fsb precotts which will be superceded by new socket t prescotts within the year

so ud advise getting a fast 533 fsb cpu matey

Cheers Cyrus. I'll have a gander for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No point in getting a HT CPU unless you have an OS (Xp and Linux) that supports it otherwise all its gonna do is slow down some applications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

this mobo only supports 400/533FSB Cpu's

Advertisement