Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

undetected/wiped hard disc

• 20-02-2004 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

I posted a thread earlier "weird noise from my pc" and I opened it, and couldnt find the problem but I noticed aload of dust inside, I tried to clean the dust with a dry tissue. I didnt go near the mother board or any electronic compenents, I just dusted athe case and the fan outputs at the rear.
    I then booted up the pc and I got an error "no bootable device detected" My hard drives are not detected, I did a system test and everything apart from my hard drives were functioning normally.
    Question: What causes a hard disc to just wipe, beacuse I tried my disc on other machines and it didnt work. I tried another disc on my machine and it DID work, so I conclude that it is my hard disc!!!

Any suggestions?

hertz:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yes I think you got it, the Hdd has failed, all I can say is double check the cables + power and try again.

Try installing it on another PC as slave with the main Hdd as master, then try accessing it from windows.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It could be the HD controller on the motherboard too. Try using the other HD controller the one the CDROM uses or trying the HD in another PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Simple, you dislodged the ide cable by accident.Just press back into place.This usually happens at the motherboard side.

If it fails take ide from cdrom and plug in harddisk and power and boot.

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    It could be the HD controller on the motherboard too. Try using the other HD controller the one the CDROM uses or trying the HD in another PC.

Actually forget that I didn't read your post properly. I sounds like your HD alright. Sometimes they just die. Funny enough it nearly always happens after you do something with a machine. Especially one that hasn't been touched for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Jasus ,i did the same ,never read last line!!!

Time for new harddisk alright.....

Though i do presume the harddisk jumper didnt fall out which would cause this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement