Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got Digiweb Broadband!!

Options
  • 20-02-2004 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

At last - I am in the real world!!!

I just had digiweb BB installed ( 1 hour ago ) and I am soooooooooo happy :)

I got the Wireless version ( not satellite version ) - very neat and clean install and 2 extremely helpful guys did the whole thing in under one hour!

56k Modem was out the window , followed by a torrid of abuse seconds later - SO nice to download AV and firewall updates so easily...bliss!!

I am in Navan by the way ( Johnstown ) if anyone lives nearby and wants to have a look at the install or play with the speeds , pings etc...let me know...

Right now for Linux!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

You should hook up with Mr Clown Man... He seems up to date on Digiweb.. Hes livin in Dundalk.

Chief

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i have digiweb broadband and its a load of shíté , just hope for ur sake you dont play games as the pings are crazy, good for downloads , my advice to you is to get a firewall up straight away

me would not recommand digiweb not even to my worst enemy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ive had dealings with digiweb before for web hosting services, they started off good a few years ago with a good solid team but over the past year whenever ive had problems theres been little or no backup with what appears to be just one person to handle everything. Maybe there broadband end of things is better but I would be very carefull about ordering anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No, not a gamer...

Always ran , firewall , IDS and AV.......FW logs are fillin' up all right!!

More for work really and downloads......in fairness they did tell me ping times etc so I was under no illusions.....so far it's done "exactly what it says on the tin" - no more or no less and that's all I want...

I tihnk the pings will improve soon with some of the new stuff they are doing on connectivity too.....not important to me but for Gamers and Voip heads - it's vital

well ill be canceling my contract with them .... disaster thats the only words i can decribe them as

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It being a good idea to have a firewall is hardly Digiweb's fault. Sarge, what pings were/are you getting on their service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Sarge..

Hold off for just 2 weeks before you go cancelling contracts. Cause I'm expecting things to get better soon enough. You do know they are being linked to a 100Mb ESB telecom line shortly. That and their 3.5 Ghz equipment is up and running but is in the testing phases at the moment. I reckon another 3 or 4 weeks max till we have a perfect connection. Or if not at least Digiweb will no longer have an excuse so you can get the hell out knowing your dead right.

I signed up with these guys originally because I reckoned they would get that far and it looks like they are nearly there. Here's hoping anyway.

I have to agree with Clown man on this...

Once they get that sorted they will also be able to get some Tier-1 transit too and that will really help with latency stuff....

I know the guys a bit at this stage and at least they are getting a service out there.

As for Firewalls etc - anyone with ANY sort of link that does not at LEAST use a free firewall and Anti Virus ( www.zonelabs.com www.grisoft.com ) is a fool and only contributing to the spate of DDOS attacks, SPAM , etc etc....all any ISP can do is provide a link and some filtering the rest is down to the end user...

I am very happy with my new service - it will make a massive difference to my working life.

Irish Comapny too and providing Irish jobs and competition to eircom - give them a few weeks Sarge

ive had my wireless for about 6 months now, ive had the techs up at my house 4 times trying to resolve my issues.. every time therehas been a slight improvement but noting major ... and another thing that piss`s me off no lenght is that fact that every so often u have to stick a pin into the ****ing black box to give it as digiweb put it "a wake up call" so many times i have gotten to the stage where i was going to **** it out the window ..... some one asked about the pings ok .. im a big online gamer(not good) but i enjoy it i play on the jarhedz servers and the lowest ping i get is about 70 and that can go rite up to 2000 belive me it has .. it also very spikey and very unreliable ...
    thats the end of my wee rant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Currently im using a dum 56k moden, im outside the range of ADSL on my exchange and the only option left is Digiweb Wireless, which is expected to be installed in the summer(maybe 3005?) and im wondering : -

Is digiweb crap ? reading through numerous threads it seems like they offer a dodgy service?

Is it possible to play games with it ? some people are on about spiky pings that impede their game play:(

Is the service reliable ? like will you be guaranteed 512k download or is that speed all a load of bollocks?

• Advertisement

Well I am still here and still no complaints at all!

I am not a gamer but I have run pings for others users and they were quite good( let me know if you want me to run traces, pings etc )

MY Network card did pack in ( my fault , cheap card! ) and I had to use dial up for a while - it nearly drove me to insanity - there really is no going back...

Let me know if I can run any tests for you..

thanks crawler, thats really helpful!!I have an Xbox but I dont know much about what pings are needed to have a good game.

I live 6,5km outside the town and they say they should have a 10-12mile radius so hopefully that part will be ok.

But do i need a line of sight, Im pretty high up by i can actually see the location for the base station because of trees in the way, is that a major problem or does digiweb use ripwave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

trees are major problems.

best to just get them out and do the test

but does digiweb use ripwave? and did they get linked to a 100Mb ESB telecom line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    .... use ripwave?

Lets not buy into the bull**** here ! Navini's ripwave product does not do true Non Line of Sight. Like all other microwave radio products it is ultimatley governed by the laws of physics.

Ripwave (& the OFDM systems such as 802.16 ) have better multipath tolerance than some other systems, this makes them good in the urban jungle where there is plenty signal with reflections, in this environment it also makes the install easy; However It cannot do radio paths where the signal is heavily attenuated (Trees, Hills in the way etc ) which are the typical Rural Non Line of site paths.

Until the operator has multiple base stations covering an area (or uses mesh topology) you will have people who cannot get connected regardless of who makes the radios.

Multiple base stations costs lots of money and mesh topology is a difficult option for a commercial operator but on the other hand mesh may be ideal for community owned networks

.Brendan

Well the lad on my roof is a TOTAL Airbridge and I can assure ye it's not OFDM! I think it's a freebie spectrum ethernet bridge, simple but effective!

Funny enough I cant see the base from my roof , I know exactly where it is but I dont have a direct LOS - I know the "laws of waves" say it shouldnt happen but it is :)

Not sure about xbox ( cant ping site ) but I get about 45ms to jolt.co.uk - not a gamer though...

I am not sold on NLOS kit - There is the Navini, Netxtnet and a few other vendors out there with it but for wireless you really need LOS unless you have a dirty big network, yes they are better on the old multipath distortion - if we knock down all the tress and flatten the mountails and all live and work underground we will be sorted!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I ordered bizwave from them on April 26 and i'm STILL waiting for an install date. I've contacted them twice and been told sorry you have to wait 10 working days before we can give an ETA (even though it says on their site and on my confirmation email that it will be INSTALLED within 10 working days).

Very unprofessional IMO. They should have an ETA for a customer within a day of them ordering, they're not exactly swamped with orders from what I have heard. Getting really hacked off by the lack of communication, if I hadn't heard such great things about the speeds and pings i'd have cancelled by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

To be fair, you have probably been waiting for broadband for years, so give them a few days! Not trying to defend them or anything, if it says the installation will be DONE within 10 days, it should be. Or perhaps it's a typo, in which case they should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I've heard that some of their installers quit leaving them short handed at the moment.

Also, they are having trouble with their dundalk transmitter and can't do any new installs their until that's sorted.

At least that's what I've heard...

great thread thanks a lot for all the info..

I must admit the information I got off Digiweb when i emailed and phoned was extremely limited. The girl answering the phoned didnt even answer my questions.
    she just said , err you have to wait sir till we open a base station in your region etc to everything I asked.

Im fairly high up but dont have a direct line of sight.. It looks like im just going to have to wait and hope...

Intresting post about what Ripwave really is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    I've heard that some of their installers quit leaving them short handed at the moment.

Also, they are having trouble with their dundalk transmitter and can't do any new installs their until that's sorted.

At least that's what I've heard...

Well that's fair enough (if it's true) but they should keep customers informed!
    I don't mind waiting a few weeks if there's a valid reason and i'm informed what the hold up is. Especially as they're guaranteeing customers they'll install within 10 working days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MarchHare

Is everyone still happy with the service from Digiweb Broadband, 2 years later? I'm thinking of signing up to the wireless service, 1 megabyte (subject to location test). Does anyone know where the Digiweb transmitter is in Navan?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Was Crawler working for digiweb when he posted this original thread or did he do a Victor Kiam?

damien.m wrote:
    Was Crawler working for digiweb when he posted this original thread or did he do a Victor Kiam?

Crawler most definately was NOT working for them at the time.....he was busy with NTL bringing Broadband to Waterford and Galway (which he did) which Mr Sponge can confirm!

Are you look for a way to upset me, Colombo/Miss Marple wouldnt go to so much trouble :) I am a nice person, honest.

"I liked the shaver so much, I bought the company"

Yes, I still have the service and I am still happy and free to visit my house to check/see. Transmitter on the Trim road - Navan going "Metro" later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

crawler wrote:
    Yes, I still have the service and I am still happy and free to visit my house to check/see.

On behalf of the almost 2000 IrelandOffline supporters, I gladly accept the invitation to host the first IrelandOffline public beer-a-thon of 2006 in your gaff. Got room for a marquee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    Got room for a marquee?

Is he not already bringing a 40 ft container truck full of gargle to a location near you some time soon .

PO for 400 keggs of cool frothy beer submitted to the financial director...let's see what he say...

I feel so used.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My pings to www.digiweb.ie average about 45 ms. There can be issues though with ping spikes and it's not like DSL, every result varies by around 10 ms from one ping to the next. But they mainly are low anyway.

I'm on 3.7 Ghz. How can the pings improve? Are they switching off encryption?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Encryption ought not to make a difference. Currently it is a different system to the 10GHz which has very consistant pings.
    Often variation can be more the destination load or backhaul than the final link though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement