Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mathematical or Symbolic Significance of 12?

• 20-02-2004 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

It's been wrecking my head for a few hours now but what is the mathematical or symbolic significance of 12? It appeared in a series of numbers and I could identify the perfect numbers and symbolic ones other than 12 (perect being 28 and 6 of course) - anyways, I'm not a crackpot but does anyone recognise it as being special in anyway or dimension (even from a book you read?)...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lowest common multiple of 1,2,3,4,6 - very handy when dividing up stuff

It is also one and half times the number that comes between seven and nine. Two thirds of it is twice four etc.

Symbolic - zodiac / biblical

Babylonians used base 60 (5x12) cos very easy to divide up - that and that 6x5x4x3x1 =360 and there are about 360 days in a year.

There is a website that lists many mathematical numbers and their significance. - but can't find it

Right Angle Triangle 12,5,13 (13 being a dozen)
    ==================================
    Also found this
    [Link to a 35Kb powerpoint file ]
    cs.boisestate.edu/~tcole/cs117/vg/review1.ppt

Declarations Slide
    set aside memory for variable(s)
    type followed by one or more variable names separated by commas
    int i;
    double x, y;
    can be initialized when declared
    char quit = 'q';
    can be declared constant
    const double PI = 3.24159;

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    const double PI = 3.24159;

constants change I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement