Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop HDD problem.

• 20-02-2004 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I just got me a new 20 gig hdd for my laptop, only 7.5 gigs of it are being recognised by fdisk. The laptop is an old compaq armada, is there any reason why the laptop would be unable to recognise the full size of the hdd (hardware or software) or can anyone give me advice on how to remedy the situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

I know there was a max of 8 gig for early p2 and 2 gig for p1s.Is your laptop one of these?I used to get around it by fdisk with newer computer then which maxed at 25 gig i think it was and put it in and it used to work.
    This is the problem with old hardware.All you can do otherwise is update bios and hope it has the 25 gig max level in bios.Does the hard disk site have a fdisk facility like maxtor?

This as i say was the case with pcs i presume laptops followed same line?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you go into the bios, does primary master read as 20004 mb, or 7 thousand somethings? Is it set to auto detect the size?

Advertisement