Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best metal song purely for guitar solo.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stairway to Heaven would be an excellent example of a song where it all just seems to be building up to the solo (for good or bad reasons!).

A song that was simply MADE as a result of it's solo is not exactly that easy to distinguish. I mean, there are fantastic solo guitar artists out there that would rip out astonishing riffs to beat any axeman and likewise there are bands that can hit the nail on the head via their 6 string salesman.

But where does the line get drawn between a song that has a really good solo, and a song that is made by it's solo?

Good solos would appear to be many and short between so how exactly does a solo MAKE a song? Does the song itself, ie., riff, vocals, drums..., have to suck donkey hemmerhoids before a solo takes the reins of the sled of inaudiobility, to guide it home to the lapland of commendation? That could be true but I think you would rarely classify a song as being completely unlistenable to would it not have been for the solo with the obvious allowence for exceptions.

So if asked, which I was, I would probably judge the "MAKINGOFASONG-ABILITY" of a solo on:

- Keeping with with the mood of the song, or indeed enhancing or taking it to the next level.
    - Originality of material/style
    - Melody
    - Bettering the overall package.
    - Technical abilty.

So with this in mind, Sultans of Swing is my pick. It was already a good track, but that second solo made it a GREAT track. It was very well in tune with the vibe of the song, ie., that biting, blusey, swing feeling. Knophler then introduced a lot of very metal influenced patterns, the grandaddy obviously beeing in the "diddle-ada diddle-adda diddle-adda diddle-adda" bit towards the end, which were very daring and innovative. Oh, and original! And technical abilty? Yeah, I'd say he pulls it off pretty well!

Now I'm aware that song isn't metal but I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently educated with said genre. For the record, by the way, my favourite solo of all time is was and (failing a miracle) forever shall remain - GnR - Nightrain. If you need to ask why, you clearly havn't heard the song!

EDIT: ****! Just re-read the first post and it turned out that was not what was asked at all.... my bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭girella

credit where credit is due to black sabbath for writing the song but these guys perfected it

pantera-planet caravan

then
    system of a down-soil,peephole
    metallica-master of puppets

im sure theres loads more but my head isn't working too well this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Not strictly metal but

Frank Zappa - Willie The Pimp (off the Hot Rats album)

probably the most underrated/overlooked guitarist around. Willie The Pimp just rocks and the solo is magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Anything by Angus Young.

Advertisement