Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new fifa rule - international eligability

• 21-02-2004 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I think this new rule enstated by fifa about this whole 5 years living in a country and being able to play for that country is ridiculous. It would enable players like Lorenzo Amoruso to play for Scotland . These players would never have the same pride or patriotism for their country and i know i personally would hate to see someone clearly not Irish put on the green shirt! what's your opinion on the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I doubt thered be 2 many complaints if one of those players happened to be ronaldo or thierry henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i personally would hate to see someone clearly not Irish put on the green shirt!

Ya like with our crap second rate P-division thats going to happen

id be FAR more worried about irish players chouseing to play for england if i was you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Our league is semi pro league we are not likely to get anyone good enough playing for an irish club to want to play for ireland so whats the fuss. it will only affect the bigger teams with bigger leagues.

I.E England, Spain, Germany and i cant see thier fans being too impressed if a german was being kept out by some non national.

Can you anyone not wanting to play for the country they were born in.

This happens all the time in other sports just look at athletics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Countless foreigners have played for Rep of Ireland!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The english arent Technically foreigners :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

By allowing players to play for countries of which they are not of nationality or desent. FIFA is defeating the entire purpose of international football.

NO it doesnt make sense. it`ll turn international football into a joke.

This "foreginers" that mike has mentioned are of irish desent in some shape our form. they have mothers, fathers, grandparents etc who are irish. therefore they should be considered as irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by carl carlson
    i personally would hate to see someone clearly not Irish put on the green shirt! what's your opinion on the matter?

do you mean players like Tony Cascarino .;)

I agree with you and would not like to see players with no blood ties to the country playing for it. It could work very much to our detriment as most of our best young players would be eligable to declare for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Stekelly
    I doubt thered be 2 many complaints if one of those players happened to be ronaldo or thierry henry.
    Something like that is obviously never going to happen in Ireland but I certainly wouldn't want anyone with no connections with Ireland playing for them. and I am sure there would be a load of complaints just as the Scottish are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

when youve lived in a country for 5 years you are entitled to apply for a passport, and it then becomes your second nationality

as far as i know, that has ALWAYS been the case anyway

perhaps fifa have changed it tho so that the player doesnt NEED to have a passport

im pretty sure tho that youve always been entitled to play for a country you hold a valid passport for

and i dunno why the fuss over it either, its not like players can "transfer" countries or anything, once theyve played for one national team theyre tied to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Helix
    when youve lived in a country for 5 years you are entitled to apply for a passport, and it then becomes your second nationality

as far as i know, that has ALWAYS been the case anyway

perhaps fifa have changed it tho so that the player doesnt NEED to have a passport

im pretty sure tho that youve always been entitled to play for a country you hold a valid passport for

and i dunno why the fuss over it either, its not like players can "transfer" countries or anything, once theyve played for one national team theyre tied to them

The pasport thing is correct, once you have citizenship you're elligble, the new twist seems to be that playing at under 21 level would not exclude a player from switching having been resident 5 years or 2 years if within UK borders ie Alan Thompson.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

fact is, its not gonna make much difference as its basically the same as it ever was

rightly so too that under 21 doesnt matter, if under 19 and under dont matter, than neither should u21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

most plauers that are showing big potential usaully get a cap wen they are young anyway, so it would be illrelevant. If there was a danger that some good player would defect , all they have to do is pick them for a friendly and give them a few mins of a run out and the problem is solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Em, when do you become a national?

After 5 years in most countries you can apply for citezinship, then you're a member of the country.
    Why shouldn't they play for the country that they feel most part of?

Advertisement