Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cd Rom Drive Will Not Read

Options
  • 21-02-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

I have a Phillips/Iqon PC running XPhome and I cannot get the cd drive to read discs

It has been back to the factory but the problem still persists.All the drivers are up to date,the Device Manager does not report any problems,the drawer opens and closes when a disc is inserted and the light flashes but then nothing. It will not read the disc. The windows update is used regularly and I am also using Norton System Works 2004 pro and Internet Security 2004 Pro

The technician talked me through uninstalling and reinstalling both the CDR and DVD drives, also loading Optimized settings at reboot by pressing delete at reboot screen etc etc etc

The discs play perfectly in the dvd drive,and to all apparant there is no problem with the system in any way---except it will not read the disc in drive e

The computer is winging its way back to Dundalk again on Monday for the second time in two weeks. Has anyone else got any experience of Iqon service tech like this..how can they let a machine back out if the problem is not fixed.....The tech guy I spoke to was very sorry and assured me the problem will be fixed this time.

Is there any other way to check my system to ensure I am not doing something wrong?The guy said the drive behaved normally both reading and burning in the factory before they sent it back

It is a Phillips PBRW 5232L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

sounds to me like a dead drive, which should have been replaced the first time around, even drives that are not reading discs will still show everything as being normal, in my computer and device manager, I think it very strange that a drive would be fixed at the tech centre and die in the trip home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

you should try and see is the drive recognised in the BIOS - press F2 on the POST screen,ie when the manufacturer logo comes on, when u switch on the unit. if the drive is showing up as the secondary master, then its being recognised at a basic level. make sure its the 1st boot device in the Boot menu in the BIOS and then try to boot from a bootable disk like an operating system disk, so that u can eliminate software as a cause of the prob....cud be looking at a format and a reinstall also. u should try and get a detailed print out as to what happened to the machine in the repair centre to make sure it was tested and what exactly happened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Thanks for the replys folks, got the pc back an hour ago with a brand new disc drive installed......pity they could not have done this in the first instance

Advertisement