Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage girls speak a different langague

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Oh dear. Yet another reason I'm grateful I don't live in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looking at the way the emphasis is being put on the rogue words, I think it's down to teaching 4 year olds that the letter "T" makes a "teh" sound and "B" makes a "beh" sounds, etc. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AQI - the ozzies are doing this ...

http://www.ecu.edu.au/ses/research/CALLR/sociowww/notes/Notes9Collins.htm
    Australian Questioning Intonation

* AQI is used more by working class than middle class, teenagers than adults, people under 20 (6 times more) than people over 20 and females than males
    * AQI may denote uncertainty and deference but has other functions as well, e.g. in narratives and among peers
    * The primary function of AQI is to seek verification of the listener’s comprehension.
    Totally irrelevant but what the hell:
    I saw a repeat of a program called Room 101 where famous personalities put their pet hates into george orwells room 101. Last night it was Stephen Fry (Famous british comedien, played the queens counsel in Blackadder series 2).

Anyway he put AQI in - Australian Question Intonation. Thats where everything australians say sounds like a question even if it's just a simple statement of fact. I never noticed it before but it's definately true. And now it's spreading with alot of younger people talking this way. I didn't notice until last night and now I can think of loads of people who speak like they're asking questions all the time. It's so wierd...

Oi yeh ?

Advertisement