Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative DNS Servers

• 21-02-2004 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Eircom's DNS servers have been acting screwy for the last hour or two, (both are pingable, but not responding to lookup requests 9 times out of 10)

Does anyone know of any alternative DNS servers in Ireland that can be used for when Eircom's take a dive? It happens often enough that it's getting real annoying (especially occurs after midnight on various weekend nights for the last few weeks)

I'm on Dolphin's Barn 512/128 Radsl BTW, but I doubt that affects the problem since I can access the world just fine if I go by IP address.

Thanks in advance for any insights,
    john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

ns1.hosting365.ie

ns2.hosting365.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Cheers folks,
    I've dropped them into my config, and checked they're all pingable from my location, so hopefully I'll have a backup the next time there's a brownout.

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Where do I set up these alternative DNS addresses?

There are 3 or 4 sites I visit regularly from work but can't access at home for reasons unknown to me. This might sort it out. I'm on i-stream solo on the Palmerstown exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Assuming you're going through an Ethernet connection as I am and on Windows....

Go to Start-> Settings -> Network and Dialup Connections.

Rightclick your local area network and select Properties.

Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select Properties

At the bottom where it gives Preffered DNS and Alternate DNS, there will be an "Advanced" Button. Select it.

On the DNS Tab of the next window you can enter additional DNS servers beyond the usual two.

Once done, click OK to apply the settings. You ca ncheck if they're installed correctly by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" which will list the DNS servers used.

john

• Advertisement
Advertisement