Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sec.Meets

• 21-02-2004 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious as to how many people would be willing to setup security meetings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I'd be interested, Im sure I could round up a couple of plp....

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DigitalAngel

Lol you gonna herd em in like cattle?

Yeah, I know a few people who would be interested alright.
    As long as it doesn't involve standing around at phone booths in the pi**ing rain, waiting for faceless people to show up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No phone booths Ceire ;)
    I was thinking of genuine meets and trade of <insert what not here>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

hmm, my sonar has picked up bad vibes lol...

Well guys you have to meet somewhere, and i dunno about you's but i dont mind waiting for mates and new potential friends to turn up.

And i think the security talk - well speaks for itself, but you'd know that if you have the courage to turn up.

Besides whats the point in just having a sec. talk, you might as well go to a 2600 meet and talk 'bout sec and other topics ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sed

what do u think we do digital, stay at the booths all nite.
    we go elsewhere for a few drinks and a few laughs while discussin many security issues.

i recommend everyone turn up and see for themselves.
    u mite just learn something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Would be interested, yes.

Would be nice to meet up during the week rather than at the weekend.
    Say on a thursay or something maybe ? where we could have a few drinks, be all social and what not etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

As long as it doesn't involve standing around at phone booths in the pi**ing rain, waiting for faceless people to show up

But, but... if they don't have faces how do you know who they are?

Maybe we can organise something that you all have time to prepare for in the coming weeks and a neutral area. Depending on the interest shown, I'll see what we can setup.

so are people that attend the 2600 meets welcome :P

you'll see what nice lovely guys/gals we are and realise yes, you dont have to like the mag or even read it to talk mr. security :)

Ah soz - am not actually being all anti or anything guys lol

I've just done the waiting around for the meeting that didn't happen thing...it sucks lol

lol@Wiz yeah, the faces thing is a fair comment alright.....
    then again, I'm only a girl, not a real tech :p

• Advertisement

Anybody will be welcome Ciscokid. From novice security enthusiasts to the top professionals in the security field..

well maybe if we posted where we actually meet , but was kind of a novelty meeting ppl face to face first (for a few mins) then on to a location..

but suggestions welcome or have a chat (its only an irc server, no commitments :P)

irc.2600.net / #2600ie

I would think that it would be a bit daunting meeting people for the first time wheither its in the rain or in a pub, you still have to do that whole thing

"hi , aww , ahh , how can I put this ..... you here for the thingy ? ... ahh :/ "

to which you get the customary

" Listen ya punk !! ive told you before to stop hassleing the people at the Atm !! now Piss off ! "

but yeah either way is fine with me :) After the first week or two everyone will know each other anyways :)

Lmao
    You've done it too!

Yeah, after a meet or 2, all is well like...
    the initial one can be a bit odd though.

OK so whats happening, is this thread to start a new meet involving security & comps & everything else you want to mention.
    If so, enough with all the bull**** who wants to organise a meet and yes not in the rain, fair enough the first couple are gona be a bit strange but how else is it gona be organised?

I prepose a meet for next week, lets say Thursday 7pm in Kays beside the spire then we can move on to a pub or wherever, what does everyone think.

Thanks joePC.............

yeah yeah Im all for it , was enjoying the bull*** tho ;)

anyways your right
    Thursday 7pm in Kays beside the spire

Fine by me :) looking forward to it

Where the flock is Kays?

lol

Kays Kitchen beside the spire you cant miss it, its a cafe restaurant place.

joe.....

lol DigitalAngel I said the same thing to myself but didnt want to look any worse !

Thanks for taking the fall on that one for me ;)

We won't be able to attend; the whole point of this thread is to setup a security meeting that we can all attend. We are not all "dubliners".

My plan was to setup a meeting in a set amount of time, so we have enough time to scheduled a day off of work and have travel arrangements setup.

• Advertisement

dlofnep: When would be good for you, lets get straight to the point with this, time date etc... and for the Dubs im sure we can spare a night if & when plp want to meet that are outside Dublin.

Just post a time, date & place & see if anyone is interested!!!!

Thanks joe

i got the perfect date, the first friday of every month at 7 p.m. :D

Lol@Static

Tis the least I could do - take one for the team and all that lol

First Friday sounds like a plan alright..maybe a bit later than 7 though, to facilitate those of us who have to work/travel.
    Plus, there's no reason why has to be in the same city/town every month either.

Anyone have a suggestion for the first one?
    Cork? Waterford?

If we know where people are gonna be coming from, we can meet in the middle.

:)

I understand where you are coming from dlofnep being from outside Dublin it use to piss me off missing all of the meetings etc :/

What we could do is both if people are interested we could do once a month for people from outside Dublin and make it a full / half days event say starting in the early afternoon and going on to the night, then people can come and go as they please.

And for the people around dublin they can meet every week or 2nd week aswell if they like that way we could develop a good base of poeple who we know will attend the meeetings < last thing anyone wants is to travail all the way to dublin for nothing espically if they have taken a day off to attend >

If it took off we could organise < without making it too offical > diff security people in the know to come and have a chat with us during our monthly meeting keeping it all very low key of course, just to see things from the work side side , we could help people get Sec certs etc , our options are limitless really.

Once we get people involved their is no reason we cant go to diff places every months, that would be half the fun.

Thats sounds good Static M.e. so whats happening do we want to organise a meet for next week to break the ICE and if so how many plp would be interested in going. Oh yea I think its a good idea to have a meet say every week or two keeps plp interested and will enable more newcomers to join alot faster than once a month in the rain ;) .

joe.....

how about next friday then..

you won't be able to have it each week, just wont work..

weeks pass too quickly

Next friday is the 2600 meet right?

if we start having them on a friday we will be competing with the 2600 crowd
    You are the same kinda people we want to attend imo.

As well as that alot of people go away for the weekend or go home on a friday so we could be possibly excluding them too.

Personally I like Thursday idea at kays, for at least the initial meetings and then if becomes a regular event with a good crowd we could have it on the Friday in which ever town we choose

I would prefer to set up a different meet other than the 2600 no real reason & not to be in competition in any way, just a meet that is more fexable to meeting days and times and that would not have the stigma "2600" attached to it, im sure everyone knows what im talkin about.

And I like Static M.e. ideas regarding getting plp in the industry to come & talk etc..... If we can set this up as a separate meet then I think it could go places.

joe......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭logistic

I think anyone who has attended the meets (2600) has been pleasently suprised. The same people who go to the meets, attend sage, dublin wan and ilug.

It's not full of kiddies, the average age is 24 - and were not blackhats,
    what people do in their own time is their business.

Its for anyone who likes technology, you dont have to like or read the magazine. People have turned up before that have never even heard of 2600, but still came back again.

Meet is next Friday 5th @ 7pm outside tower and then on "elsewhere" BRING BEER MONEY!!! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

BTW,

There's a boards beer on that evening in Messrs Maguire and all readers of this board are quite welcome to go along there and combine meeting/talking to other boards.ie users along with the usual 2600 discussion.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140782

Forgive my belated response,

Firstly, I have no problem in travelling to Dublin so long as I have time to schedule it. If staying on the already established 2600 schedule means a consistant meetup, then I am all for that.

And Ceire, although I'd love some meets down here, I'm sure it would be a challenge. Maybe we can have some localised meetings aswell as the regular meets up in Dublin?

where exactly are you guys/gals travelling up from?

Waterford.

Soooo :)

Whats been decided ? :)
    Cisco is suggesting using the 2600 meetings instead of setting up a new meeting and competing with it.

I dont want to turn this into competing with any other meeting at all, I just thought it would be fun to meet up with some people and sit around and talk about Sec / Tech stuff I mean it isnt really something, I personally ever get to do really, even with other IT staff .

" yeah that lovebug was a killer, I remember this one time at computer camp i had a PC and........ blah blah blah "
    its around this time I tune out and get this strange but distant ringing in my head
    "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppp"

Im not even saying that im some sort of 3l337 whatever, In a world of comps I think I dont know ****e, If I did, id be sipping some sort of cocktail with a flower garden sticking out of it on a yacht in the bahama'a :)

But from my experiance IT people either are into the Sec side or not , and so far all the ones Ive meet haven't been.

I think the 2600 meets are a cool idea in their own right I unfortuantly can never attend because I travail alot on the weekends and generally have no idea where ill be next weekend from month to month.

So I dont want anyone to think this is to be some sort of Rival to the 2600, infact its the opposite the people who go to the 2600 meets are exactly the people I would like to meet . People who are into Security.

I know the 2600 is the 1st Friday of every month, but would you guys not like to meet each other any more than that ?

The idea is just to meet up, have a chat, bit of a laugh nothing serious < After the 3rd or 4 th meet however, we will of course have the customary "signing of souls over to the Devil night" which ive been told is a bit of a hoot :eek: >

Seriosly tho, its just meeting up and having a chat ?
    Anyone want to meet up or ?

• Advertisement

Yes very much so, we meet up outside the meets alot, you pretty much make alot of friends!

I think me and Ceire are just going to setup localised meetings and drop up to the 2600 meets whenever we can. I would however like to see something major happen this summer, even if it may be just one event, a small con would be nice.

Advertisement