Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Proxy

• 21-02-2004 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

This has been discussed before, but thought it worthwhile to update.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I lost access to Hotmail, Outlook could not download Hotmail messages, couldn't log into Hotmail using IE, UTV newsgroups would not automatically download updates, and I've just discovered I cannot post to boards.ie.

UTV's solution to this is to enable a proxy, which works fine. Trouble is I can't access my router with the proxy enables (even using 'local bypass'). So to workaround this problem, I am forced to impair the functionality of my PC.

UTV replied on 1 or 2 occasions in their newsgroup, but when the problem still wasn't resolved, all went quiet (last direct response to my post was on the 17th).

I consider this an unacceptable level of service from a company I am paying almost €50 a month to.

Can anyone shed any light on this, as UTV don't seem to be in a position to rectify matters.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by ArthurG
    This has been discussed before, but thought it worthwhile to update.

Yes, it would be worthwhile to update the original thread that dub45 created a few days ago, instead of making ANOTHER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ouch. That told me!

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

I had a simular problem accessing my router,
    just click on tools >
    internet options >
    connections >
    lan settings >
    makes sure bypass proxy for local servers is ticked >
    click advanced >
    in the box exceptions "dont use proxy server for addresses beginning with:"
    put the ip address of your router eg..

localhost;192.168.0.1

Thanks Co33iE, I'd actually copped that myself earlier today, so am now happy again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

its still really bad form UTV they should have e-mailed us about it
    getting fed up by them really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Whats the proxy information? As I am having the same problem.

I can't seem to find the original message on the UTV newsgroup, but am currently using the following:

Proxy address: 194.46.8.9
    Port: 3128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

jeebus thats much faster. Cheers. Any words on when they will fix it though? :/

See original message :)

Not much forthcoming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

They don't seem to regard it as a problem to judge by their responses to posts to the newsgroup inquiring about it. I have asked this elsewhere but no one seemed to answer so I will ask it again is there any disadvantage to using a proxy in this way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by dub45
    They don't seem to regard it as a problem to judge by their responses to posts to the newsgroup inquiring about it. I have asked this elsewhere but no one seemed to answer so I will ask it again is there any disadvantage to using a proxy in this way?

So I supose one of the disadvantages is that sites you've been to could be logged in the webcache.
    Also theoretically the web cache could provide you with out of date info.
    The other problem might be if the webcache was not of a high enough spec as this could lead to a degredation in service.
    The only other thing I can think of is that if they changed the IP address of the webcache for some reason you'd be unable to browse whereas someone who's going through the transparent cache would not have this problem.

So I supose one of the disadvantages is that sites you've been to could be logged in the webcache.

I had been wondering abou this point i.e. how do you know for certain you are looking at the latest version of a webpage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Well it's now 1.35 ish and the last post on boards was at 1.35 is. So this UTV cache that I'm on must be pretty up to date :o

my utv connection is very up and down as regards speed!!
    not good enough

Can't believe this...

Using the UTV proxy (either with or without the exception used to allow router access as described above....) bypasses the firewall in my router!!

I have a number of sites blocked, and with the fix on, can access them no problem. Only disabling the proxy restores the firewall rules to what they're supposed to do.

I'm stuck now, dunno what to do.....

this is really pissing me off
    e-mail utv and no word at all from them

Unfortunately they dont seem to regard it as a problem and until they met some resistance in the support group today they were passing it off as a 'client issue'!

The fact that such an explanation defied all logic seems to have passed them by completely!!

It really does not give much faith in their engineering team who came up with that brilliant explanation!

Advertisement