Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying wheels: New or Used

Options
  • 21-02-2004 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

2 friends of mine recently bought new 04 cars, now to me this seems crazy because as soon as the dealer hands over the keys the car is devalued.

i'm all for buying second hand.

what do you think?

Buying Wheels: New or Used? 2 votes

New
    0% 0 votes
    Used
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I'm the same, never bought a new car, don't intend to unless I find the cash for an RX-8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Father just bought a second hand BMW Z-3.

I like to get stuff as cheap as possible so I tend to buy second hand (Like my 125)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

saved €2000 buying a pre registered showroom car which had only 15miles on it, not really second hand but was €2000 cheaper than the exact same car with a 04 reg, its reg as a 03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Used all the way.

Average €20k car looses like €3-4000 value in the first year ffs!

Id rather buy a 3-4year or older car and get a higher spec/better car than fork out for a brand new car.

And most cars these days are perfectly fresh even at 5/6years old and more if taken care of at all, particularly Japanese cars.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Used all the way, unless I win the Lotto! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

In reality I don't think I'd ever buy a new car, the 1st year depreciation is too high.
    I'm also far too poor. If I had to tho, I'd stick to a Golf or something else that would hold its value somewhat.
    When buying a newly released car, there's also other potential problems on top of the depreciation issue - recall worries (I think the Rav4's all had to be called back), and faults that the manufacturer sorts out after a years production etc.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I buy @7 years old and sell @10 years old :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Used Used Used! :)

The moment you buy a car you've lost 15% of its value.
    After 3 years 50% has vanished. Save thousands and buy 3-5 years old. Save a fortune and do what unkle does.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Save a fortune and do what unkle does

Hehe, just bought a just over 7 years old BMW 735i Executive. Buy this car new now and you get pretty much the same package with the same (slightly upgraded) engine and the same transmission and just a few contemporary extra's and it obviously is the newer model. New now €125k. I paid €11k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I find it hard to get a good 2nd hand car with beyond the base level spec, if you go to the UK you can get great 2nd hand cars, the 2nd hand market here if sh1te. Of course I'm probably looking in the wrong places.......

Whats your insurance and tax on that unkel BTW?

• Advertisement

Tax on my old car 530iA V8: 1109
    Tax on my new car 735iA V8: 1343

see this table

Insurance on both around €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Buying a new car whether paying it on h.p.(far too much interest charged) or in cash(if you have it) either way it is DEAD money.

A good, safe and reliable used car will do exactly the same as a new car i.e.
    take you from a to b

With a used car you dont have to look after it as much as a new car, therefore if it gets scratched or your dog pisses in it or sheds his hairs in it, it aint all that bad really :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rapidude

Used is definatley the way to go.
    I bought a 3 yr old 328ci that cost me 55k less than the lad that bought it new!
    A 3 Yr old car is pretty much the best value car that you can buy (All factors taken into account) Most people cant get by the numbers on the reg plate tho!!
    They have to be one better than the jones's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

a wise man once told man to never spend more than 20% of you income on your car
    new is nice with the warranty and all but the depreciation in the first years and possible problems due to the car being new are allways a factor. I see it two ways - you either buy a car new with the specs you want and take care of it and keep it for 7-10 years or you buy 3-5 year old and sell when it reaches 6-8 years of age (depends on taste/model/reliability). Either way you pay the least ammount of $. For my next car I'll probably spec it up to the max, buy new and keep for 8-10 years (as I don't like buying somebody elses stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

Hell o *.*,

I'd love to buy new cars, with exactly the spec I need. But I'm not that rich, so I bought my car when it was 1.5 years old. Since then I upgraded everything I could - except the engine to 2.0l and I can't get the digital air con. But I looooove this car, and I don't think I will sell it until it dies under me. I service it at every 10 000 miles, and I wash it every 2nd week. It's easy for me to enjoy my drive, I have a 1.6 Focus :)

Trurl

Advertisement