Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Disconnection Problems

• 21-02-2004 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Really hoping someone can help me with this.

First off it disconnects allllllll the time, and rare occasions goes for a couple of hours, with out disconnecting.

I had a loan of another external modem and it never disconnected in a 2 week period. (sportster v.90)

Just so you get an idea heres a log:

hhh:mm:ss

000:16:44
    000:10:22
    000:09:27
    000:17:00
    000:02:52
    000:07:15
    000:02:39
    000:00:44
    000:02:43
    000:12:29

All the times above are the length of time connected with out me manually disconnecting.

This problem is constiant across different dial up numbers, eircom utvip etc'. Using eircom now.

The modem I have is an external 56k data voice and speaker phone.

Basically called "internet fax modem" with a model number FM-56JT ver: RWD-UK Data: 56Kbps, ITU-T V.90.

Based on a rockwell board.

Its about 3-4ish yrs old. I had a modem before and the same thing happened and I got this 3-4years ago and it was fine, up until this year.

Really drives me crazy and people who I try to talk to. Never mind games.

I don't want to buy a new one because I will be getting a broadband in a month *fingers crossed* just need some help till then.

Thanks,
    Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Hmm, usually in my experiance connection issues aren't strictly related to the modem. What is usually the problem is the RJ11 (telephone) connection running from your PC to your telephone socket. I would check that line for any loose connections, or failing that for any kinks/knots or other sources of interference. My physics is rusty but any wire carrying current that runs flush with the modem connection wire can create electromagnetic interference as well, so try to avoid that situation. If possible try a replacement wire, such as the one that goes to your telephone handset.

Also you can try editing the modem setup string in your control panel. In windows XP, all I could find is how to add extra initialisation commands. Offhand the only command I can remember that might help you is "/N2" - and I'm not even 100% sure if that is correct. What you can try doing as well is try to update your modem drivers. I'm sure the manufacturers website will have something more up to date.

Finally, if it's a software modem, and if your CPU/RAM are under strain, then the modem might be starved of CPU time/resources. Try ending other programs that might be running (give windows the three fingered salute etc).

Try that, it might help sort the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Its near impossible to get the drivers for it, just a rebadged modem, but rockwell ones shoudl do.

Its a hardware external modem, and I've ruled out the line as I had another modem and it was fine.

So far i've tried disabling V.90 and K56flex, and use V.34 (33.6) and with his so far i haven't had a disconnect. So think maybe turning them back on and limiting the connect speed. Its nearly always 48Kbps normally.

Its so frustrating tho, you don't know if its not working, till it disconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I might have picked this up wrong, but are you getting broadband in a months time because you've already applied for it?

I now have IOLBB, and found the few weeks before I received the kit, I was dropping dial-up connections all the time. Didn't click until the same thing happened to a friend, if the DSL is already activated on the line and you're trying to do dial up still, you'll need a DSL filter.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ye have I have ordered BB, the exchange was upgraded and my line passed the online test and they are processing the application. hopefully nothing go wrong and WILL get it *touch wood*

They all sound like logical things but when i had another 56kmodem it worked fine. The one i have now is not disconnecting anymore since I set it not to use v.90 or 56kflex, and its connecting at 33.6Kbps. I tried having v.90 enabled and limit the connect but it still gave problems. :S

Ah well i can get by with 33.6Kbps I guess for a month as long as it doesn't disconect.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Gid.

Advertisement