Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F-Zero AX now out!...kinda of close by.

Options
  • 21-02-2004 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Taken from the IGN's F-Zero boards:

"The tube journey into London on Monday morning was droll, however i felt excited as i was shuttled along the Piccadilly Line into Central London. I had waited a long time to play F-Zero AX, too long. But i knew today i would play it for the first time.

After exiting Piccadilly Circus tube station, i saw the large building known as The Trocadero. The Home of an F-Zero AX machine. I made my way across London's busy streets and entered the building. It was a large, arcade complex - multi floored, and packed with typical arcade techno and a wealth of people.

However, for a while it was not good. I could not find the machine anywhere. I asked countless security guards and other staff for "F-Zero AX". Unsurprisingly, i got little help. My friends who were with me were getting fed up of walking around, but i managed to keep them going. My heart was slowly sinking as i could not find it anywhere..

However, it was a good job i did have friends with me, for it was one of them who found it. I looked in his direction and caught a glimpse of what i had been looking for. Anticipation filled me, as i walked over to the AX machine.

Sitting into the cockpit, i put my coin in. Like an idiot, i ran out of time and didn't get to register my license card this time around. However, i wasn't too fussed - i had brought a lot of money, and i prepared to race, unaware that the chair would not move due to someone leaving a scarf on the sensor .

F-Zero AX is F-Zero. Feeling confident, i skipped the beginner courses and entered Outer Space: Meteor Stream in the Rainbow Phoenix. Ack! The speed was a lot different, and despite being an F-Zero veteran i battled along the track, managing a measly 11th place. I blame the speed, for it is a lot faster than on the Cube. Plus the controls were a little difficult at first, however i didn't feel ashamed because the game was so much fun.

The next race i remembered to get a license card, and despaired when i saw Dr.Clash appear on screen. Oh well, i entered Sonic Oval with the Wild Goose and regained my glory, coming first. I repeated Sonic Oval (i let my friends have go's also) and also secured a first place (by a small margin) on Screw Dive. Thunder Road proved to be too difficult, and i avoided Meteor Stream after my previous encounter. I did not have time to try out Cylinder Wave and Spiral.

My license card popped out and i was glad to see the Skull on it. It was the best card we got - between us we also picked up Spade, Dai Goroh and Super Arrow.

F-Zero AX is hard to come by, but if you find one reachable, i heartily recommend it to any F-Zero fanatic. You thought GX was faster than anything alive? Better think again. Combined with the moving cockpit (i got it working, it makes the game harder still but much more fun) and the crazy speed - F-Zero AX is unmissable.

10/10
    "

Now I'm no fan of the Trocadero centre ever since Sega moved out of it but I think it'd be well worth a visit when I'm next there in a few months. As far as I know it's one of only two machines in europe if the list is anything to go by so the next time you're in the general area report back and tell me if it's worth it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

only two machines in europe
    Shame on Nintendo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's not Nintendo's game, Sega is handling all publishing duties for the arcade version, and I ain't suprised about the number of machines they have here in Europe.

Love to give it a go myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I don't think it's anything to do with their crappy attitude that they have towards Europe. The list of AX machines I was looking at the other day showed that there was only one in America, somewhere in California I think but this list could be out of date. The guy doesn't mention if the cabinet is the deluxe one or the standard one but from the mention of the motion sensor I presume it's the deluxe one? Just out of interest I wonder how much one of those machines would set you back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Sega need to make a standard sit down driving cabinet and just charge 3 or 4 grand to upgrade the hardware. An FZero or Outrun 2 cab costs in the range of 30,000 euro's so you just never see them.

Trocadero is a dump. So much wasted space and no atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Deadly. I want to play it pronto

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Sega need to make a standard sit down driving cabinet and just charge 3 or 4 grand to upgrade the hardware. An FZero or Outrun 2 cab costs in the range of 30,000 euro's so you just never see them.

I agree totally which is why I was a little miffed at finding this the other day:
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/437/437749p1.html
    How many Leisure Plex's do you see getting that in? I mean the market for the standard machine is hardly massive and this is one step further still.

Originally posted by Roller Toaster
    I agree totally which is why I was a little miffed at finding this the other day:
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/437/437749p1.html
    How many Leisure Plex's do you see getting that in? I mean the market for the standard machine is hardly massive and this is one step further still.

I was just talking about the deluxe AX ride. That thing probably costs the best part of 100 grand. Though in fairness you can change the games on it and according to the people who've played it the quality of motion is utterly fantastic. Gorgeous hi-res display and unique handling system as well.

No memory card reader or license card though meaning it lacks all the functionality that makes F-Zero AX so appealing in the first place.

Sure all the operators in Europe turn off the card readers in Initial D.

You need a jap formatted Cube card and a Jap copy of FZero GX to use the machine in Troc.

Oh wait.. they have the card reader turned off so even with all that it doesn't work.

They can turn all the GX craft/tracks on by default. But the Troc engineers would never do anything like that.

They have two versions of VF4e in that building. One machine has the current version, but the cabinets in such bad condition you can't play it. And the other cabinet has an older version unsuitable for for tournament play.

Arcade operators on this side of the world are utter retards. No wonder there's no proper scene here.

Advertisement