Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quake 3 Scene in Ireland

Options
  • 24-10-2000 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I want to raise a couple of opinions of mine regarding the Quake 3 scene in Ireland. This is not supposed to be a negative post and if anyone takes it as so. Well tuff titty!

1. The Quake 3 scene and individual skills of players in Ireland are of a very high standard (Much higher than Wireplay, Mplayer, The Zone etc.)
    2. It is a very well run community by MindPhuck etc. with people dedicating a lot of there spare time to running it.
    3. There is a minority of arrogant players that make the scene somewhat inaccessible to newbees like myself. Young muppets that presume that because you are new to Q3 you have no skill. This is Fugging Stupid as a lot of new players are so called ninjas at other games and someday soon will wipe the floor with the arrogant little ****ants. This does scare people off and frustrates others though who would be an asset to the scene.
    4. It is hard to get a friendly practice game.
    5. Q3 is a very ruled by one thing as far as I can see Ping and it does not have the balanced gameplay of UT, CS etc.
    6. There does not seem to be any CTF or RA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

balanced gameplay of UT - ROFL smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If you want CTF, go play UT
    hopefully we can get an RA server up tho

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Pretty much bang on YupYup.

you shouldnt have to play UT to play CTF but then UT-CTF is a blast too.

(I'd like to get a game of UT ctf going at Anilan too)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

The bloodstained wastelands of the Quake 3 arenas are not for the over sensitive. Fight to the death and fight for honour or do not fight at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

2. It is a very well run community by MindPhuck etc. with people dedicating a lot of there spare time to running it.

Er, thanks. FYI, other people who help may not have their name attached in big lights, but are just as important. M1ke, Bunny, Zero, Devore, Regi, Cloud, Jedi, Slosh, Paladin, Sonic are just names off the top of my head. Without these people, things just wont go. (apologies if i missed ppl smile.gif)

3. There is a minority of arrogant players that make the scene somewhat inaccessible to newbees like myself...

Some things will never change.

If you know who these ppl are, stay clear of them and talk to the more mature clans and people, you almost guaranteed a game and some advice if nothing else.

5. Q3 is a very ruled by one thing as far as I can see Ping and it does not have the balanced gameplay of UT, CS etc.

Ping helps you be good, but you can still suck with a low ping.
    UT is not a balanced teamplay game.
    How can you compare CS to Q3? Err different games alltogether.

Yes. There is huge following of CTF (CTF - Origionally created by the Quake ppl) and a vast audience of RA people. In Ireland, there is not alot of either frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yep, its a b1tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

my 1.5 cents.
    Originally posted by Yup_Yup:
    1. The Quake 3 scene and individual skills of players in Ireland are of a very high standard (Much higher than Wireplay, Mplayer, The Zone etc.)
    3. There is a minority of arrogant players that make the scene somewhat inaccessible to newbees like myself. Young muppets that presume that because you are new to Q3 you have no skill. This is Fugging Stupid as a lot of new players are so called ninjas at other games and someday soon will wipe the floor with the arrogant little ****ants. This does scare people off and frustrates others though who would be an asset to the scene.

1. Yes, we rock

3. If you are having any trouble from little prícks, (one in particular springs to mind), people like that can be sorted out, just post it in here and it can be dealt with.

4. That's because certain clans attitudes leave a bad taste in ppls mouths. nD will give IR games any weekend they want.

5. It's as balanced as most games : if ure good you win, if you arent u dont.

6. CTF is something we have to get onto. IGN have secured another server for IOL, so we might hassle them to put it up as CTF, I think we would all like that, get someone to run a CTF league.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Originally posted by MindPhuck:
    UT is not a balanced teamplay game.

Could you be more specific please, I'd be intrested to know why people think that. Are you talking about DM or CTF in particular? what exactly is not balanced about it? I know this is not the UT board but people brought it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Yup_Yup

You are right MindPhuck. sorry to all the people I did not mention in this post but i was in work when I wrote the post and MindPhuck's name sprang to mind.

The post is meant to stir debate and not to put down the Irish Q3 scene.

We do have a limited supply of clans and players and I was trying to help make the scene more open to newbees like m0self. I am a above average player in normal terms and a below average player so far in Irish terms it seems. Potenial will shine through and the Legand of Yup will live forever.

The whole nd v IR thing has fug all to do with anything and I was not implying anything on that topic. nd played a rematch (Fair Play)unoffical as it was and i was happy with that even though we got our ass's kicked !<

Ping does make a big diff tho.

Any Way lads dont be so serious.

Frag ya soon

Baz (The Peoples Champion)
    A.K.A. Yup_Yup Esquire the 2nd

nah ure picking us up wrong, nobody is saying anything serious, most are agreeing with you.
    When I said nD will play IR any weekend ye want, it was nuthin to do the the IQ3CL, I mean that if you lads want practise games in the future we can play.

• Advertisement

Sound as a pound on the ground getting licked by a hound while he was running round and round and round until it was found by fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭TOWN

IGN have secured another server for IOL, so we might hassle them to put it up as CTF, I think we would all like that, get someone to run a CTF league.[/B][/QUOTE]

hey zero, around when whould server be running and YES it whould be sound to get a ctf going on it.
    As rgards to YupYups comment i can see where your coming from,some bad vibes (somtimes)but ya cant be a sensitive fuker,ya have to be strong overcome and to hell with the begrudging lepers smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

CTF is a great idea, i've got a load of ctf fettish heads in Bio who'd just love to play on some IE servers.

But there's hardly a tdm scene atm so :/

We can only really work with the players we have :5 active clans, 2 pseudo active clans ... how many of them would be for ctf I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Being a newbie to Q3 I would have to agree! Although I was lucky to have contacts in the Q3 comunity through work who were more than happy to show me the ropes. These same people are still happy to beat me by 20 frags whenever I feal like a game :-). Speaking of ignorant little f*ckers, one does spring to mind who I won't even bother naming because you all know who he is.

At the end of the day it is a computer game and I want to enjoy it and not have to worry that my rail ain't up to scratch etc.

So to all those willing to help me out and rape me to **** (and not make too much fun of my "lack of l33tness") when I need a game cheers. You know who you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Ye getting into the quake scene can be quite difficult if u dont know any1 already in it.
    Luckily for me i did.
    esp for sorting out a proper config, and general training.
    I only starting playing quake in college for the first time around march this year. Sico used to utterly rape me on our college lan when i started. The rest is history....... biggrin.gif

Narf!
    Clan Acid
    Clan Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

well I came to the scene with VERY little knowledge at all. I had just started playing Q3, I was crap (even worse than you FANJ!!)

I had been in net house for a few of the gaming nights down in Ranelagh (this was b4 I worked for them) and got kinda friendly with Coyote and Chief. Sound guys who showed me Cloudboards. The old boards.ie.

I would agree that there are a few muppets in the community that are unfriendly types AND alot of ppl can be aloof (on irc) if they dont know you.

I think that if, as a newbie, you have respect for the ppl that have been around for a while and if you dont just go mouthin off all the time you will find a farily warm welcome. I did.
    :-)
    At the end of the day the more ppl in the Quake community the better things are for everyone.

If the bottom falls out of your world, drink Andrews and the world will fall out of your bottom!!
    nethousegames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

sound as a pound that you found on the ground being licked by a hound who was bound to a mound and was running around until his leash unwound and was sadly found in a nearby pond drowned.

wink.gifsmile.gif

"...oblivion moves, along mojo grooves..." - The Paudical Son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

not enough clans around by half imo :/

..and there could easily be, theres plenty of players around - maybe someone should give it ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

I think the main reason Q3 is a different scene, is that it is now a profesional sport.

You can't expect to walk into a running track the day of a competition with little training, and expect to like losing.

If you want to be good at it you need a LOT of dedication and practice. I think Q3 failed as a game that attracts newbies, in my opinion, most q3'ers are ex qw'ers or q2'ers. This gives them a great advantage.

This is where UT and CS get their players, it is easy for anybody to hop in and enjoy it, it is less serious and professional competitions are few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Ahh the old my "game is a sport" argument has to be raised, and therefore harder to get into.

Rubbish pure rubbish. I can assure u that CS is taken just as seriously as Q3 when it comes down to tactics, as is UT or any online game.

It has always seemed to me to be used as an excuse by a (small) group of players to intimidate new players, and as a means to exclude them.

• Advertisement

Point taken, I wasnt saying all quake 3 players are elitest .

But one interesting point which should be noted is that all the other 'newbie' friendly games are team based or the servers are setup that way.

I dont believe the problem is Quake3 itself, since EF uses the same engine and is pretty much full of newbies and clans each night, but most EF servers are setup as CTF or TEAM DM. Maybe the IGN ones should be setup that way, it creates a more balanced play for the high pinger, and newbies alike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Last time I looked games1 and vishnu ran Orange Smoothie - a team play competition mod (correct me if I'm wrong). I do think that team play is encouraged here. FFA is an option with OSP, but it's aimed at teams/duels.

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire:
    I dont believe the problem is Quake3 itself, since EF uses the same engine and is pretty much full of newbies and clans each night, ...
    The game/graphics engine that powered Quake3 and EF is great but the problem IS Quake3. The idea behind is old. People are sick of deathmatches, ffa, duels. People go for whatever's new and fun. EF has that going for it with all those phasers and whatnot plus all those Star Trek fans giving it a go. Give it a few more months and it'll die off like Kingpin. That is unless the many Star Trek fans keep it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

For my money Quake 3 offers the most challenge because the most skillful players play it.

I can see the arguement though that a newbie being dropped onto a server will barely take a step or two before some low pinger smells fresh meat and opens up on him.

I agree with you. My point was that Quake3 in itself is not the problem. I dont think people are sick of DM, team DM, CTF or what ever, otherwise all those other games wouldnt be as popular.

Maybe its simply that Quake 3 is dead in Ireland, everything has its time.

[This message has been edited by Rev Hellfire (edited 26-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭TOWN

As we speak id are working on the next add on for q3,they know q3 arena was not a team based game ,thats why this next pack is a team mission pack or some pi$$ like that,there is also a new mod due to be released soon,is been worked on for over a year now, "Navy quake seals "its called,that mod will have a cs theme to it,http://www.captured.com chesk it out.
    If there is other people dying for team play in q3 there are some brill mods on this site,there big downloads but chri$t its worth it,W.F.A and classic ctf ,2 of my fav,u wont win or last in them if u dont play as a team;$hit im on the edge of my seat playing this game some nights,the intencity is so much,Keep er lit lads.

Q3 wont die over here, the 30 or so ppl that might play it regularly will keep playing it, so even if the scene stays small, it's still Irish Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

PLD biggrin.gif

Maybe we should all take up Botcha.

What skill

What poise

1. 2. 3.

B O T C H A

Evil Yup Yup (He does not come out often)

• Advertisement

That's bullshít.
    Obviously CS has tactics, serious tactics, but Jay is talking about something different.
    It's nothing to do with excuses we make. Us lads in Irish Q3 are trying lots of things to get new ppl playing, I offer help here anytime someone has a question, its nothing to do with bull**** attitudes other than the small few. Q3 is an absolute bítch to come to terms with. I loaded q3 onto a guy's machine in the office here yesterday, coz he watches us playing and thinks its cool. You want to see the guy try to take in Tourney4 basic tactics, and figure out how we move around the level 3 times faster than him. Jay isnt starting a "my games better than ure game" argument, he is pointing out how much of a bítch Quake3 is to get into, and all help we can give in the world doesnt help a newbie who gets on vishnu with 20 pingers railing him out of it as he spawns.

Look at it this way, if Q3 Team.ie played UT for a week, and UT Team.ie played Q3 for a week, and they played both games, guarantee u Beast and Ser would clean up.

Advertisement