Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 connection options.

Options
  • 21-02-2004 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

How does one connect 5.1 sound to speakers? A package I'm interested in has inputs for Left and Right Phono connection(White and Red), coaxial and optical inputs (toslink). I want to connect it to the xbox, will the Left and Right Phono connections be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 derrie

The L&R are only stereo, which may - depending on the systems be encoded with dolby prologig, which is the old poorer brother of 5.1. It uses 4 channels, L - R - Front - Rear, but they are matrixed onto the 2 channels.

Matrixing is a cool way of forcing more channels down two wires but it does mean that all the channels are not completely seperated from each other - you can always hear a small amount of crosstalk

The digital connection is the one to go for in this case because it's only a single connetion and all 6 channels are completely seperate from each other

Does the X-box have a digital out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Not natively no, I'm gonna buy the hi definition av pack. The official Microsoft one comes without a breakout box that includes an optical connection. Or I was going to go with a cheaper one with just the component lines and left and right audio phonos. So is matrixing possible with the left and right audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 derrie

My first post prob didn't read too clearly

2ch stereo is usually encoded with Dolby Pro-Logic
    Dolby Pro-Logic is a 4 ch Matrix system

So it'd probably work but won't be as cool as 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So unless the two channel signal passes through a receiver/amp with pro logic on it. It's unlikely that 5.1 will out come. I don't think xbox has a pro logic encoder onboard so it looks like I'll have to use the optical. Thanks derrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have my XBOX connected to my receiver. What you need is the Digital AV Cable.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=XBOX&title=111950

One end goes in the XBOX, the scart goes to the TV and the optical goes to the receiver for 5.1 sound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement