Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on Video Formats?

Options
  • 21-02-2004 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Does anybody know how I should explain our Irish video tape formats to someone in States who wants to send an educational video for use over here?

Any idea how he can get it converted?

Whatever information and suggestions appreciated.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

We are european PAL format. They use NTSE.

Most new vcrs here will actually playback ntse videos (but not record). Mine does and it is over a year old. I'm sure you can find someone with ntse playback and get them to copy the tape using 2 vcrs and a scart cable to convert to PAL.

They also have 3 recording options. SP - Normal, LP - Long Play and EP - Extended Play which would turn a 3 hour tape into a 9 hour tape. Crap format though. Anyways, i had a tape recorded in NTSE EP and it worked in my vcr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Thanks Roberto,

I've passed your answer on...

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I think that when your VCR plays back the NTSC tape, the signal produced is PAL-M ( a hydrid of PAL and NTSC) rather than pure PAL. I doubt that you will be able to change the NTSC tape to PAL unless you use a digital convertor. Most likely a B+W picture, with or without sound. Worth a try still, but make sure to use scart cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, if you try that with two VCRs you'll just end up with a hideous unwacthable mess, or if you find one that can record at 60Hz (NTSC standard) it'll just be a copy still in 60Hz video - maybe not NTSC, but still unwatchable without a "NTSC Playback" compatible VCR and a remotely modern TV.

Advertisement