Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offside Rule. Again

• 21-02-2004 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

did ya see Ricketts' goal that as disallowed for offside?
    what's the difference between that and RVN's that started this whole debate.
    i have to say i'm glad with the linesman's decision. two men were offside. in the split second that anyone could have contacted the ball he made a good decision.
    but in hindsight it was against the new rules.

why didn't the same thing happen in the Utd game? or others (forgotten now) SIMPLY because equality and the same rulebook should govern the game. not just the whim of a ref. (they can be bribed remember. i'm suggesting they are. but they are not infallible)

views please.

i think this 'interpretation' thing should be scrapped. shame a petition wouldnt' do anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I agree, am actually finishing my reffing course today and we brought it up here, top refs in Ireland reckon it was a goal and that if they were on the line they would have given it, well that is according to the newest FIFA edict, but there may well be a new one tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Alminator
    why didn't the same thing happen in the Utd game? or others (forgotten now) SIMPLY because equality and the same rulebook should govern the game. not just the whim of a ref. (they can be bribed remember. i'm suggesting they are. but they are not infallible)

This is what I mean. Typical, an ABU or a 'Non Utd Supporter' starts a thread about inconsistencies in refereeing decision and immediatly quotes a man utd incident and convieniently forgets the other incidents. It's no wonder people think that manu get a load of home town decisions with selective memory such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The off-side law should be free of ambiguity. If anyone is off side they have to considered potentially active therefore any goal should be disallowed.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    This is what I mean. Typical, an ABU or a 'Non Utd Supporter' starts a thread about inconsistencies in refereeing decision and immediatly quotes a man utd incident and convieniently forgets the other incidents. It's no wonder people think that manu get a load of home town decisions with selective memory such as this.

I don't think there was anything particularly "ABU" about the post. You have to acknowledge that it was Ruud Van Nistelrooy who exploited this rule, and hence brought it to everyone's attention. In that case, I think its fair to relate any current offside decision back to that.

In my opinion, offside should be a black & white rule - anyone even close to being involved in play and in an offside position means the game should be stopped. However, it appears that the current rules disagree with me, and so yesterday's goal should have stood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I don't think there was anything particularly "ABU" about the post. You have to acknowledge that it was Ruud Van Nistelrooy who exploited this rule, and hence brought it to everyone's attention. In that case, I think its fair to relate any current offside decision back to that.

I agree, as a Southampton fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think they should do away with the offside rule all together like they have done in Hockey. It opens up the game totally and the better teams tend to benefit from the extra space it creates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by mike65
    The off-side law should be free of ambiguity. If anyone is off side they have to considered potentially active therefore any goal should be disallowed.

I totally agree with this. The new interpretation is a farce and a major controvesy waiting to happen. Players are defintly interfering with play when standing in an offside position, particularly in the box. Both Henry and Ruud have been particularly guilty in exploiting this unfairly imo (regardless of what the lunatics in fifa are thinking)

Advertisement