Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Apache on BB

• 22-02-2004 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Have a technical question...

I have BB and I want to run a webserver for testing purposes over the net. I have Apache running on the machine connected to the router. However whenever I try to access the webserver via the Internet I get through to my router not Apache :S Anyone know how to work around it? Im running Winxp connected to router via USB.

Thanx
    XceLLor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

bear in mind i know nothing about this... but what port does apache run on? Presumably 80.

And i assume your router has some built in admin control mechanism. Does that also run on port 80?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You need to make sure external access to your router via port 80 is disabled. Then you need to portforward port 80 on the router to port 80 on the internal ip. If you have iol broadband you probably have the zyxel 623 router, I can walk you through this if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Xcellor
    I have BB and I want to run a webserver for testing purposes over the net. I have Apache running on the machine connected to the router.
    What router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

At first I thought what you are thinking... that Apache was running on port 80 and so was my router. And indeed they are both port 80. Ive tried changing port of Apache to something else but the outside word namely the Internet can't seem to talk to it.

My server comp that is connected to the router is on a LAN, it is set for a static ip of 192.168.0.1, the router is on preconfigured 192.168.1.1 but it seems that since the router is closer to the Internet than the server, ie 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.1 - Internet so therefore the ports that are open on the router are the ones being translated to the net... maybe im not making much sense hahah it makes perfect sense to my brain though...

Anywayz any ideas??

XceLLor

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

I've tested out Apache on my BB connection. Once you've setup the port forwarding on the router (and punched a hole in your machine's personal firewall at port 80) all should be working.

However, for reasons unknown to me access to the webserver from the local machine is restricted. For example, pulling up page http://127.0.0.1 or http://192.168.0.2 will show the Apache test page, but accessing the globally accessible IP will fail.

If you try and access the IP from another machine all will be well. The webserver is up and running, you just cant see it from your local machine.

If this potentially is the case then get someone to try and access your machine from a dialup or a college/business computer to check it.

john

• Advertisement

Was messing around with Router... and changed web interface port to port 8080. Tried to connect and got the user name password prompt but now it doesnt accept my user name and password! I can login FTP and Telnet fine and I changed settings back but still no go :(

Any suggestions??

Must be a delay tried it now... functioning again!

My server comp that is connected to the router is on a LAN, it is set for a static ip of 192.168.0.1,

Anywayz any ideas??
    My computer is set up to use 192.168.0.1 as well. So there's not much point anmyone on the internet trying to connect to 192.168.0.1, because they won't know how to connect to your machine. They need to connect to the Public IP address of your router, and your router needs to be configured to forward requests on Port 80 on it's WAN interface to 192.168.0.1:80.

I know the principles behind networking just never had a great deal of experience with routers. How do I configure a Zytel to forward 80 back to 192.168.0.1

I know the principles behind networking just never had a great deal of experience with routers. How do I configure a Zytel to forward 80 back to 192.168.0.1
    Read Chapter 6 of the User Guide. You need to select SUA mode, and create a mapping for port 80 to connect it to your PC. You shouldn't need to specify any rules, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Have a technical question...

I have BB and I want to run a webserver for testing purposes over the net. I have Apache running on the machine connected to the router. However whenever I try to access the webserver via the Internet I get through to my router not Apache :S Anyone know how to work around it? Im running Winxp connected to router via USB.

Thanx
    XceLLor

You probably need to acquaint yourself with a service like dyndns.org and figure out how to open up a hole in your firewall / NAT. Also you need to figure out how to do some admin stuff on your router/modem. Good luck! Wouldn't fancy doing it on XP... Pretty simple on OS X though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

In fairness .. its pretty handy no matter what router / os or webserver you use ...
    FIRST, can other machines behind the firewall/router/whatever get pages served to them?
    If they can and people outside your firewall cant see pages then they are blocked by his router ... read your manual and port forward port 80 to your internal IP address ....
    I'm guessing you have a static IP or you are using dyndns.org? ... if you have a domain tied to your IP it will most likely not work from computers behind the same router ... i.e. a computer on the same subnet as the webserver will not find the webserver if you use www.mydomain.com ... only external puters can do that, internal networks should use the local machines IP address (not your ISP's assigned address) ... I know its behaved like this for me with two different manufacturer routers (Netgear and 3Com)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by MrPunch
    However, for reasons unknown to me access to the webserver from the local machine is restricted. For example, pulling up page http://127.0.0.1 or http://192.168.0.2 will show the Apache test page, but accessing the globally accessible IP will fail.
    If you try and access the IP from another machine all will be well. The webserver is up and running, you just cant see it from your local machine.

I've found this too. I have my own dyndns.org address setup so that my iol router updates it automatically when i get disconnected and my ip address changes. (very bloody handy :))

if i try to get to *mythingy*.dyndns.org it won't resolve. but if i'm NOT inside my lan (in college/anywhere outside my lan really) it'll work

i _think_ it has to do with:
    1:i ask my router to get thiny.dyndns.org webpage
    2: router connects to dyndns.org and sees that thingy points to itself.
    3: router thinks there's a problem as it cant possibly have "thingy" related to itself, let along "thingy.dyndns.org"

if you have network setup in accordance with "thingy.dyndns.org" then i'd say it'd be fine.
    but i'm drunk, so dont listen to me :)

Daniel

Originally posted by zoro
    if i try to get to *mythingy*.dyndns.org it won't resolve. but if i'm NOT inside my lan (in college/anywhere outside my lan really) it'll work
    Put this line in your HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 *mythingy*.dyndns.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

ahhh /me slaps forhead *of course*....worked a treat ... cheers Ripwave ...
    except in my case mail.example.com is another machine in my local net

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Something else to keep in mind is your personal firewall. It must be set to allow incoming connections on port 80.
    This is something that the standard "Free" version of ZoneAlarm wont allow. You can do loopback (127.0.0.1) connections ok, but not external routed access.

You'd need ZoneAlarm Pro or another firewall to allow that. Or you could run your machine without a firewall, which would be an EXTREMELY poor idea.

john

Got apache working. First of all I had my server comp as a static IP which was assigning IPs to the other comps on the network. 192.168.0.x.... However router was on 192.168.1.1. So I got rid of static IP and allowed router to act as my DHCP server and now my network is all on 192.168.1.x. Then I read something on Zytel website about enabling loop back. Set that up and boom I was in business.... Apache is now running :D

Advertisement