Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9800pro cooling

• 22-02-2004 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

I have a radeon 9800 pro and the noise of the fan is beginning to get at me. What options would you recommend?

I was thinking about investing in water cooling, maybe a kit from hitide but i have a Zalman CNPS 7000A AlCu Cpu cooler. Decisions :dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey,

I have both of those products (well the slightly older zalman heatpipe). I will be installing my 9700pro with the artic cooling 2moro (using a Ti4200 with zalman at the min). I just have loads to do with my pc and havent gotten a chance to test it yet. From what i hear its very quiet, just need to sort out my PSU and other fans again to see how quiet it really is, oh and hard drives since i have the connectors now.

Overclocking wise the Artic cooler is definetly the best (its huge) , suppose it depends on actually how quiet you want it. The heatpipe really does do a good job and 0db is nice........ supposed to use a fan with a 9800pro ........ its hard to call.

I will post 2moro with a good indication of how silent the artic cooler is

Loki

Ok so i have it fitted now and with a little testing i find it very quiet (on silent setting) . If your really pickey you will still notice it (providing the rest of your system is silent. On full its much more noticable .

For complete silence you cant beat the Zalman, performance you gotta go with the Artic cooler. Depends on how quiet your system is, ie what CPU cooler & PSU do you have? Is there a NB fan.... etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Thanks for the info COL_LOKI, think ill go for the arctic cooler as i dont think im gonna achieve perfect silence and with the extra cash ill but it toward a new psu.

Was thinking bout a "be quiet" psu, whats peoples opions on this psu compared to the likes of zalman or antec?

They have been given excellent reviews, great rails, good power output and very quiet.

Zalman and antec are also excellent PSU's (along with fortrons, thermaltake , enermax, PCP&C - but these tend to be louder than the zalman, be-quiet, antec's).

Toms Hardware Review of Be-quiet , bear in mind thats the slightly older model than are on sale now, and toms hardware is always going to be in favour (to a very big degree) of its sponcers - which is not be-quiet :) .

You wont go too far wrong with either be-quiet, Zalman or Antec when your looking for a very quiet system with an excellent quality PSU. - PS id probably get a higher rated PSU than you think you need, main reasons would be so you can upgrade without any worry and also that the fans are variable and relate to PSU load..... the higher rated ones have bigger heatsinks and thus need lower fan speed to output the same power. (370w - 400w should leave you plain sailing unless you have a massive system)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Ok so i have it fitted now and with a little testing i find it very quiet (on silent setting) . If your really pickey you will still notice it (providing the rest of your system is silent. On full its much more noticable .

Was it easy to install?

The Zalman Heatpipe is easier to install and has a much better instruction manual.

Saying that , it wasent that hard at all TBH. I had to flip the clip on the rear mounting thing because i needed the screws to be longer but other than that it was pretty much a doddle. Just follow the 1 page instruction manual :) and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

yeh i have the zalman heat pipe cooler (and zalman fan on top) on my 9800 pro and its grand with generally no noise what so ever

So what exactly is the difference betweent the blackline and colourline apart from the led fans.

The only differences i can see is that the backline has a 3min cooler off period which i think could be a bit anoying. Having to wait 3 mins extra before being able to plug out your pc.

The colourline has a maual switch at the back of the psu to control the speed of the fans, "medium, low and auto"

http://zalman.co.kr/english/product/ZM80C-HP.htm

is the stuff i have.

it shows just how easy it is to install...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    since i have the connectors now.

Finally ;)

You got the Samsungs up and running in RAID0 yet?

Finally

Good god i know :) . I have them formatted and ready to go just need to get some of my software that i left in dublin.......its taking so long, i have so many parts i need to put in i keep getting distracted.

Have gotten a 300w Fortron and im going to mod the fan to run on 5v and see what its made of !! Also have to sort out the fans , im currently running them on a fan controller but due to the added strain on the PSU of the 9700pro, 3 extra hard drives, 1 extra dvd drive its running my fans too fast.

I checked my bios and theres nothing to slow down the NB fan, anychance you have a link to that program you used? Would save me stripping my computer ;)
    So what exactly is the difference betweent the blackline and colourline apart from the led fans.

The only difference should be the nice coloured fans.

Check out http://www.be-quiet.de/english_flash/index.htm and you will see what i mean bout the differences in the colourline and blackline.

Never knew the colour line didnt have that feature (knew the black line did). Well i dont see it being much of a problem really, sure if your going to bed and are unplugin it anyway all your switching off is the power to the fans because the computer will be fully shutdown other than that.

I think its a nice feature and shouldnt be heard as the fans run on lowest setting....... better for hardware.

pictures of the zalman heatsink and fan when put together (looks pretty sweet and cooling is excellent with no noise what so ever..)

http://members.boards.ie/bigchief1/DSCF0039.JPG

http://members.boards.ie/bigchief1/DSCF0041.JPG

(yes i tidied up the psu wires and changed the heatsink after finishing the building process before you say/ask..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Which is noisier though, the radeon's gpu fan or the papst 90mm fan?

To me, if I get a fanless heatsink for the gpu (and a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler ), I'll have to get a whopper of a fan, so I'll still be at the usual noise level.

Depends on what case fans your case has. Although case airflow is good, once you have some it should be ok. Ie if you get 2x sharkoon U/silent (with a variable resistor to adjust speed) place one near the graphics card/cpu sucking air from the case, and one at the bottom blowing air into the hard drives you should be fine.

These fans are very very quiet and are adjustable, best of both worlds. Papst are also good. When your looking for an almost silent rig you have to have slightly higher temps (unless using water cooling). You will still have almost double the air flow of the dell computers .......... some people dont even use case fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

At the moment I'm not using a case fan. Is it really that bad (I have standard amd heatsink and fan, and standard radeon 9800 pro fan).

What about soundproofing mats? I heard that there pretty good, and seem cheap enough. They won't remove the noise completely, but they'll muffle the sound pretty well.

Can you recommend me any case fans with a termal sensor (I'm only a casual gamer at the moment, due to no cash:( ).

If I am using a case fan, i'll probably use a papst 80mm fan.

80mm papst case fan vs. standard gpu fan. I was wondering which is less noisy?
    Iv'w been googling my ass off, lloking for the db of the sapphire atlantis 9800 pro, but have come up empty handed. Anyone know?

Has anyone tried copper heatpipes??? If you use heatpipes, you shouldn't need case fans right? Does anyone know where to buy these?

I was thinking of getting a be queit kit, but does anyone know where to get them at a resonable price???

Also I know this is off topic, but I tried installing my front usb panels, and I totally destroyed my memory stick (I could mildly smell burnt plastic). But what are the settings for front usb ports (the tiny connectors, +5v, -5v etc). I don't remember my brand name for my case, but it should be pretty generic shouldn't it?

Thanks (I hope I didn't ask tooo many questions):D

Advertisement