Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 1GB upload cap

• 22-02-2004 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I've just noticed that the 'reduced' home package (€39) has introduced a 1GB upload cap.

This could really effect me as I backup my computer to .mac service and also often store photos to an online album.

I guess it wont effect everybody (HTTP GET/POST requests wouldn't reach 1GB in a month) but there may be people like myself for whom the 4GB download cap is ok-ish but the 1GB upload is a problem. It's a pity they wouldn't have a 4GB upload cap as well - then I'd be happy.

I feel like I am being rail-roaded into keeping my new 'free' upgrade at the €54 a month price.

Any comments?

-- Damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

its eircom what do you expect if your unhappy maybe switch providers when they have their new services out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, goto netsource. I hear their brilliant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

Where did you hear about the upload cap?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its on eircoms site about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

The 1gb FTP cap was put in place so that business users didnt use it its designed for the home user, who would never exceed 4gb download or 1gb upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm glad I moved to the UK.... 2 Meg connection £30 a month

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by the Guru
    designed for the home user, who would never exceed 4gb download or 1gb upload.

What planet do you live on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    The same planet as most of eircoms users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I live on planet IOL where 8 gigs download cap is not enough, never mind 4 gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

4Gig down & 1 up is fine for me and everyone I know. For €40 its not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Me too. Haven't yet used more than 70% of my 4GB d/l cap, going on 9 months. Never uploaded more than 600MB per month either so the home starter deal suits me fine. €40 per month is a hell of a lot better than €54.45. All in all, I'm reasonably happy on "Planet eircom".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by BendiBus
    4Gig down & 1 up is fine for me and everyone I know. For €40 its not too bad.

For anyone that engauges is online gaming properly 1gb upload isint that much. Seeing as though you can be constantly uploading and downloading anywhere from 4kb/s to 25kb/s constantly 1gb can go pretty fast.

And lets not forget all those game updates. Each mod for BF is now regularly 500mb+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

For the average*** home user - 4gigs down/1gb up is AMPLE bandwidth.

Gamers, technically, saturate quite a lot of bandwidth - and - by right, aren't "average" users. Thus, they *should* be paying extra for their broadband - as opposed to Joe Average subsidising their costs. It's only fair. You get what you pay for.**

*** = Average, in this case, probably means a non-boards.ie user. Whether you like to admit it or not 94.2781%* of people on here are internet overusers or addicts.
    **= Using the term 'you get what you pay for' in the same breath as 'eircom' probably stinks of hypocrisy, I'm aware of that. However, it is still a fairly true statement in this instance. If you wish to game over broadband, you pay more than someone who utilises less bandwidth by browsing.
    *= Made up statistic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

You could always go for the "Home Plus Business Starter" product.... 512/128 8GB down/Unlimited upload. Contention ratio @ 24:1.

You also get a free 4 port router.

I have to wait aother 12 working days before my stuff is online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I live on planet "1GB a Day" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Peace
    You also get a free 4 port router.
    You get the use of a 4 port router. You have to give it back to them when you move to some other (cheaper) provider.

Advertisement