Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC constantly transmitting/receiving

Options
  • 22-02-2004 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm hoping somone can help me out here. Lately when my system is just sitting here and connected to the interent it is constantly sending and recieving information...and i don't know what its send or where its going.

I mean, i went out this afternoon for about 45 minutes, PC connected to ISP, came back and it had been constantly send/receiving information. I've attached a screen shot of the status of the connection which shows how much has been Tx/Rx'ed over the space of about 45 minutes.

This did happen once before and i had to format/reinstall to sort the problem. I'm kinda hoping that it won't have to come to that this time as i'm in the middle of a lot of work that i don't need to go about setting up my system to reconfigure.

ISP: Eircom
    Connection: ISDN
    Windows Version: XP PRO
    IE Version: IE6

Anyone have a clue/has had this happen to them before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jarmstrong

you could try running something like tcpview to see where your PC is connecting to

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Youve got a virus or spyware ... install adaware and update your antivirus definitions and do a full scan using both

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Adware is crap, doesn't find them all and isn't updated that regularly.
    go download search and destroy from download.com
    that'll find the little things, then restart and scan again

then download spywareblaster this program then stops further spyware being installed from within your explorier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The anitvirus i forgot to mention - Norton and its up-to-date...full system scan was done a couple of times.

It monitors emails as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

get ad-aware or spybot s7d (google them if you don't know where to get them).

get yourself a good firewall so you can see whats doing the send/recv of data. tcpview sounds good too, might take a look myself.

something i've noticed was that aol messenger has started using peoples pc's to move data around recently. ended up uninstalling it and going back to using trillian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm pretty sure its sorted now... I have SQL server installed and never updated it against SQL Slammer....thats done now and my PC is no longer misbehaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Peace
    I'm pretty sure its sorted now... I have SQL server installed and never updated it against SQL Slammer....thats done now and my PC is no longer misbehaving!
    D'oh .... that'd do it ...

Advertisement