Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Portsmouth *scores*

• 22-02-2004 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Just turned it on at 56mins.

0 - 0

Liverpool were just given a penalty, which was ridiculous. The attacker (barros i think) was on one on one with hislop, and taylor came from behind and made an amazing tackle, clearly getting the ball but the ref gave a penalty. Owen stepped up, put it to the right along the ground, hislop got to it. So still 0 - 0!

Has anyone been watching the whole thing?Any other good chances

[EDIT]
    70mins
    haha
    yakubu just got a yellow for diving
    most obvious dive ever

[2nd edit!]
    1 - 0 to portsmouth
    hughes just scored on 71mins.
    left side of the edge of the box,shot bottom right.keeper didn't even move. What a goal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

liverpool are brutal! peno was the only decent chance, owen had a close chance just after that but pulled it wide.

portsmouth aren't even playing well! their defending the whole match and hitting pool on the counter and its working.

ps. doesnt baros look EXACTLY like chris coleman??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just listened to the game on FiveLive, Liverpool sounded crap, no great idea of how to win a game.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

final whistle

1 - 0 portsmouth.

Shaka Hislop played a big part in that match. A few more minutes and Liverpool may have got it back. Portsmouth had just turned to banging it up the pitch and letting liverpool attack. Hughes missed a good few chances

1-0 ft, surely houllier will go now. liverpool's season is over. they wont win anything now. get him out before he makes them any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I know it's "only the FA cup", but surely this is the final nail in Houllier's tenure at Anfield? Sure he's a nice guy, the thinking man's manager etc. etc., but the bottom line is he can't deliver the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

And the peno wasn't even a peno, it was a clean tackle. Best team won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Liverpool were completely uninspiring. And then as usual they up the pace when they go behind.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

For the love of God, Houllier OUT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Rubbish Rubbish rubbish rubbish.....

Did I mention Liverpool were rubbish? it was mroe a case of Liverpool giving the game to Portsmouth than Portsmotuh winning it. A truely awful game. Owen whould have neevr taken the penalty as he has shopwn before that under pressure he can miss. Murphy who just came on would have been the better taker imho. Then again it want a penalty so fair is fair one can say. We had about as much penetration as a castrated pron star. At least Milan Baros seemed to look somewhat dangerous when he came on.

"You took 90 minutes of my life and I want them back"

But then again we were clearly concentrating on the League.....

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

A terrible game, the Ref gave two pennos but the first one was rescinded after Baros handballed and not the Pompey player, how did the ref not see that?
    The penno wasn't even a penno a super tackle by Taylor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Bollox to the league. We are playing for 4th. 4th for a team like Liverpool it utter crap. We should be trying to win the bloddy league.

All this crap about injuries affecting our chances this season is crap if houllier had spent his money wisely it should not matter that we had a few injuries.

Houllier please piss of back to france and take all the **** buys with you.

Portsmouth had 15 team players out and still managed to beat a practically full strentgh Liverpool.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I heard an interview on Sat morning on Fivelive that finlly pushed me over the edge to thinking GH has totally lost the plot.

He claimed that Liverpools away form is as good as the top 3 teams and the poor home spirit and form is costing them (it seemed like a swipe at the anfielf faithful to me).

Just looking at that, going into yesterdays matches:
    Away points:
    Arsenal 29/39
    Utd. 27/36
    Chelsea 29/39
    Liverpool 18/39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OMG where did they get that Ref From???

He must of had a bet on a penalty being scored or something!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    "You took 90 minutes of my life and I want them back"

i think we are owned more than that perhaps this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Actually... what do pool fans think about the season really.

I mean, basically this is the end of the "Five Year Plan".

A dog fight with Newcastle, Charlton, Birmingham an dFulham for 4th place is just not good enough for a club like Liverpool, all the more worrying how far behind they are with the emergence of Chelsea.

I thought before GH should be let go during the summer, but I'm really not sure now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by syke
    Actually... what do pool fans think about the season really.

I mean, basically this is the end of the "Five Year Plan".

A dog fight with Newcastle, Charlton, Birmingham an dFulham for 4th place is just not good enough for a club like Liverpool, all the more worrying how far behind they are with the emergence of Chelsea.

I thought before GH should be let go during the summer, but I'm really not sure now.....

I wont go over old ground but Houllier has to go, at the end of the season, as kicking him upstairs now would achieve little. The first 3 years were a success judged on thier terms. He got rid of the spice boys, rebuilt the defence and then consolidated. Thats when the flaw became apparent. The 2001 season while great fun also
    distracted us from the truth of Houlliers vision. He is a conservative man leading a team that needs a bucaneer
    to let the talent run free. He he shuffled off after the heart scare his legacy would have been solid not in tatters.

Just dont ask me who might succeed Houllier. But Alan Curbishley would be fine by me.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Dreadful tbh.

There was a bit on Ceefax (page 310 I think) about Capello wanting to manage an English team soon. He mentioned Tottenham but I can dream I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by smemon
    1-0 ft, surely houllier will go now. liverpool's season is over. they wont win anything now. get him out before he makes them any worse.

god why do I hate everything you say!! even though I pretty much agree with what you are saying, you just dramatise everything!

I didnt see the game and thank god I didnt, would have had me in a shocking mood!!! tragic state of affairs

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    god why do I hate everything you say!! even though I pretty much agree with what you are saying, you just dramatise everything!

im not dramatising anything here! this is reality plain and simple. not one person has defended houllier yet on this thread which makes it pretty clear EVERY football fan, be him liverpool or otherwise wants houllier out.

liverpool are now a mid-table side, Utd and Arsenal dont see them as a threat anymore which is quite astonishing when you consider liverpool's size and wealth. houllier has past his sell by date and needs to be kicked out before he drags them further down.

Owen has said he'll go if pool dont get that 4th spot and if he does go, it will completely ruin liverpool even more. all thanks to houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

houlier may not be a great manager but its not like liverpool were winning everything before he came ,infact they hadnt won the league since 1990 , 89 something like that anyway . i think they could go places though if they can get curbishley(he did say his new contract with charlton,( till 2007)will be his last ) . i think he would move if offered the job .

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Liverpool weren't that bad, unless you compare their performance to the great teams of old. Hislop had an absolute stormer, he won Pompey the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by kaids
    Liverpool weren't that bad, unless you compare their performance to the great teams of old. Hislop had an absolute stormer, he won Pompey the match.

My Granny would have saved that Peno, Owen never hit at all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wasn't talking about the penalty, he was superb all game long.

Liverpool playing Cheyrou and Le Tallec on the wings was a recipe for failure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

its a shame to see a club like liverpool become so..... eh average!
    thats all they are now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Why was owen allowed to take the peno? After he missed it the game totally changed cos pompey had their tails up cos it shouldnt have been a peno in the first place. As captain Gerrard should have grabbed the ball of owne as he stepped up, his record from the spot is very poor. I wonder what his success rate actually is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Theres no point saying Owen shouldn't have taken it after the match. If Gerrard/Murphy had taken it and missed you'd all be saying, Oh Owen should have taken it.

In the end it wasn't a penalty and it was justice that Liverpool missed it. Perhaps its better that they missed and went out rather than sneaking through unjustly and hiding the cracks for a bit longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Only got to see a few minutes of the match as I was at a christening, so I don't know how Liverpool played. I'd have to say now though that Houllier should leave at the end of the season and judging by the look of dejection on his face from the sidelines yesterday, I think he will.

On the subject of the peno (s), it shouldn't have been given as the takle was spot on, but Owen should never take peno's when Murphy is on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

To be honest everytime i see pictures of houllier on the touchline he doesnt seem to have any passion in his eyes.

Ye may be bette roff with Stuart Naysmith of harchester uinited fame as yer manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by jank
    its a shame to see a club like liverpool become so..... eh average!
    thats all they are now
    It's a poor reflection on the league as a whole. The fact that Liverpool are average and still chasing for a CL place, means that appart from the top 3 there is no clubs at any sort of decent standard at the moment.

It's starting to be a bit like the Scottish league - when does the EL start up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Cant believe it ... beaten by Portsmouth* in the Fa Cup.. :(

The only cup - we had a chance of winning this season.

*no offence to Portsmouth - but Portsmouth ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Bollox to the league. We are playing for 4th. 4th for a team like Liverpool it utter crap. We should be trying to win the bloddy league.

now theres a real deluded fan.

i think youre aiming high at 4th.
    youve got some good players, youve got some average players, and youve got a ****e manager.
    you dont deserve to be inthe top 6th from the games ive seen this year.
    and unfortuantely, ive seen a few.
    boring, bland, unimaginitive, unexciting. its like watching arsenal of the nineties, but without the results. or the excitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nice to see ya round these parts again WWM, Spurs must not have lost this weekend ;)

Yes you are right the Pool are performing very poorly but hopefully with the advent of a new manager who will actually let the players play there will be changes. Whether or not the team will wait around to play for a team that are not in the CL is questionable but I think that they will do better than 6th and can see them coming fourth so long as GH let's the attackers attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by James R
    Theres no point saying Owen shouldn't have taken it after the match. If Gerrard/Murphy had taken it and missed you'd all be saying, Oh Owen should have taken it.

Eh no I wouldnt, Owen has consistently missed penalty kicks for liverpool and should not be allowed to take them any more, especially with Murphy on the pitch. Just like Sheringham stopped taking them after missing a tonne of them for spurs and utd.

Advertisement