Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo artists/ piercers

• 22-02-2004 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

how wud u get involved in piercing/ tattooing? im an art studentand id reallylike to design tattoos eventually.

m
    x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Go in and see some tattooists, show them your portfolio etc. They might take you on as an apprentice.
    Just designing tattoo's would be much harder to get into, there are so many 'big' companies that produce flash it might be harder to get noticed.
    You could make flash and sell it to tattoists but I don't think it's something you could make much money from, in Ireland at least.

Tattooists make pretty good money, but you earn next to nothing as an apprentice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

so as an apprentice ud be doing the actual tattooing? thats cool. is it the same story for piercing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

i believe you have to pay to apprentice for tattooing in most places.

for piercing you get paid a bit after a while. it probably varies from place to place.

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    so as an apprentice ud be doing the actual tattooing? thats cool. is it the same story for piercing ?

Yeah but you'd start of tattooing yourself, so two tattooist friends of mine told me. They started doing designs on their own legs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mate of mine started by buying all the gear online and started tattooing his mates for free.
    This was on the basis that if he made a fook up then he`d sort it out by re-covering the design when he`d got more experience.
    He did make very little mistakes as most tattooist rarely tattoo a design straight on to the skin.The tracing paper has the design on it which is then traced on the skin and once you`ve a steady hand you should have no problems.

As for piercing---Fairly straight forward to get into.Once you know where to put the needles you cant go wrong.Just dont start with genital piercings:) :):)

Theres actually a book available to buy online which maps out all the piercing points and there are suppliers in the US who sell complete start up kits.
    Try here http://www.bettercart.com/store/go?s=geotatshack&c=8459582_93193&b=&a=NONE&n=product&product=3161

Richie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

thanks a lot for that etho and hellrazer.

oh dear jesus the thought of tattooing myself, shudder.. cannot apply pain to myself at all! still though it sounds like a deadly job to have ..eventually..

thanks again
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

a friend of mine is a tattooist, so she showed me the basics, and the rest i learned myself. i practised on myself, on pigskin gor from local abbitoirs and fruit, hahaha.

am out of it for a while as im saving up for some new machines, but once i get them im off again ; have been offered a studio room in town.

Originally posted by Chaos_Path
    i practised on myself, on pigskin gor from local abbitoirs and fruit, hahaha.

Pigskin, hah sweet :)
    You based in Dublin?

it was gas craic. VERY messy though. and stank.

nah. north dublin/drogheda/louth area.
    get me out of here.

Originally posted by Chaos_Path
    it was gas craic. VERY messy though. and stank.

nah. north dublin/drogheda/louth area.
    get me out of here.

I know the feeling, I live in Drogheda myself..

• Advertisement

hah cool, i went to college there.

if you can call it that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jezloki

I was tattooed free hand by Marcel Britten in the Nine Lives (formally the Lilac Lizard) Tattoo parlour in Bray

Tatt.jpg

the design was a transfer originally, he did the outline first, then i thought he was going to use the transfer for the celtic pattern in the middle but he wiped it clean did all that bit freehand.

He was German Tattooist of the Year at some point. Ace bloke, bad taste in music though, Johnny Cash then German Death Metal...

he's still there, bloody hard to get an appointment though.

wow, thats really beautifully done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CleoCouture

you would have to become an apprentice, show an art portfolio and all that jazz. However a few of my friends have been looking around for an apprenticeship here in Ireland with no luck! My advice...if you love it...head to Britian or the US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

thread is 5 years old... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

and full of the sketchiest advice ever...

Advertisement