Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do Rovers sell so cheap 2nd hand?

Options
  • 22-02-2004 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm looking to purchase a car in or around the 1.4litre range. From all my shopping around, I notice that Rover's have a very low 2nd hand selling rate.

does anyone know why these cars depreciate so much? I always thought of Rovers as being reliable, sturdy cars? (I could be completely wrong). Maybe parts are expensive... does anyone know?

Just wondering if anyone can help or advise on buying Rover 2nd hand, as im on a tight bidget and for a decent looking car Rover seems to be the best choice

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Have noticed this meself as me brother got a 400 cheaper than most other cars. I wouldn't have thought of them as very reliable cars tho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I had a rover 600 and as far as parts went i found them expensive.. Going by the cost of a cv joint Approx 240 EURO each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So its the parts then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its a cultural thing...Rovers never sold well in Ireland, for years they did'nt have a dealer network to speak of. Even now its very spotty. Also tradionally Rovers rusted to dust after 2 winters. A Rover since about 1992 would be no more or less reliable than 90% of all motors though.

Mike.

I'm looking at a '96 Rover 214. Perfect sized car for me. It has 69k miles, new timing belt.

I just dont know anyone with these cars so I dont know how reliable they are. There's plenty of them in Galway though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

A friend of mine had a Rover. It was constantly giving her problems. Rover have a reputation of having bad enjines and gearbox. She had a 95 214. I think she bought it about €4000 a little over a year ago. Over the past one year the car constantly needed fixing. 2-3 months ago, the gearbox started giving problems. You cant shift down to second gear. If you do, the car would stall. Then the engine went. It would cost something like €1,500 to get the enjine fixed.
    My advice is, dont get a Rover. They do have a bad reputation. I guess thats why they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The main reason that Rover's are very cheap second hand is to do with the manufacturer. It is quite likely that Rover will not exist anymore in the near future, which of course will have an impact on resale value, parts availability, dealer (servicing) network, etc.

Because the cars are so cheap, it is an interesting option to go for one on the cheap second hand though

I would recommend the 600 series. These are Honda Accords in a Rover shell. The 400 series are ok, but I wouldn't touch anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

one of the many reasons (and there are many)

is the K-series engines propensity for blowing head gaskets.

they have a very sensitive cooling system, and if it is not in top notch condition they will blow the head gasket.

otherwise I have no major issues with them I drove a 92 214 for a year and the only problem I had was needing 2 headgaskets, the first was done by the garage as I got the car that way and the second was the death of it as the breakers don't have K-series engines cos they all blow up.

John

note not all rovers use the K-series btw but most 1.4s and 1.8s are the K series

Thanks for the advise folks,
    I have taken all your info into consideration. Funny you mention the head gasket problem, a friend of mine told me his gasket blew on his 214 before also... Could be dodgy.

I wouldnt plan on keeping the car for too long, 2 years maybe. If anyone else has advise/experience with the 214's it would be much appreciated.

(So I take the 214's are the K series?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

In 5 years driving various Rovers, I had two gearboxes go and one head gasket. Company had over 50 Rovers in fleet and general impression among staff was good company car, but you'd be mad to own one. From talking to local Rover garage it appeared to be a matter of when rather than if the engine and gearbox would go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by JohnCleary
    Thanks for the advise folks,
    I have taken all your info into consideration. Funny you mention the head gasket problem, a friend of mine told me his gasket blew on his 214 before also... Could be dodgy.

I wouldnt plan on keeping the car for too long, 2 years maybe. If anyone else has advise/experience with the 214's it would be much appreciated.

(So I take the 214's are the K series?)

Know 2 people with 414s with head gaskets blown- expensive and timely job to get done too, so make sure you've got your warranty sorted out..

Advertisement