Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management Software?

Options
  • 22-02-2004 6:36pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I'm looking for good FREE content management system.

I have been looking at phpNuke and PostNuke in particular. Does anyone have any experience on these?

From what I gathered, PostNuke has a variation of phpBB2, a popular bulletin board which is a neccessity on teh site I'm working on. I was wondering if it would be possible to convert my current Invision board database to "PNphpBB2" just like I could convert with just the standard phpBB.

Perhaps there are better open source management systems out there, though I haven't found any that met my needs. A good integrated forum is a must.

The site in general is daily news and forums with a few extra things.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭corkie

Backup your Database first

Convert your database to phpBB.

Then follow the instructions found here: -
    http://www.pnphpbb.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2011

Or you could continue to use your invasion board database and intergrate that with PN.

Do a search on http://forums.postnuke.com/ for more assistance.
    Forums intergration has been covered and discussed there allot.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah OK, thanks for that. Apologies but I hadn't realised there was 2 versions of phpBB modified for PN. The one I have is not PNphpBB2 at all. It looks exactly like the standard phpBB2 (same database tables it seems too) taken from here

Just a shame it's using an older version of phpBB2 (Version 2.0.1)

I would like to perhaps integrate Invision instead but it's no longer freeware, and if I were to pay for any bulletin board, it would be vBulletin. I don't think Invision is worth paying for tbh.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭corkie

Your welcome!

The site you linked for the mod you where looking is way out of date the last post
    on the site
    Posted by: fireform90 on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 09:23 PM CST (3661 Reads)

Invision Board 1.x to phpBB 2.0.x - FINAL
    http://www.entre-aide.org/viewtopic.php?t=1081

Having a read of the above and the nightmares people are going through to convert their forums.

I hope you make an informed choice and path of action to get your new forum up and running.

byte

Hmm, hadn't realised the site hadn't been updated in yonks. Their forum is still in regular use.

Not so sure what to do now. I think PostNuke site supports PNphpBB, and not really phpBB2 PN.

Maybe I should stick with Invision. bah, decisions, decisions! :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Have a look at

www.plone.org

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fhugh

Yo,

A cool option is Mambo Server Open Source (www.mamboserver.com)

Its moved on a lot since I set up www.novadance.com with it two years ago, and now it supports Ses url's (on Apache), loads of plug in components and modules you'll get from places like www.mamboportal.com, and its quick and easy to set up.

Templating system too, full membership mullarkey, all that craic.

Otherwise you could try Speck CMS which I'm using on www.fashion.ie

Its a tag based CMS Framework, which enables you to deploy highly customised sites quickly. Little bit more difficult to implement but its raaaaaather nice. Roles based stuff etc.

Its a bunch of Coldfusion tags, and supports most Databases out there - mysql / mssql / postgres / oracle etc. You'll need to be able to enter iis settings and coldfusion mappings via your hoster or whoever though. Fashion.ie is with hosting365 who are pretty ok.

H

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's a very basic complaint I know, but one of the things I don't like about a lot of so-called CMS's is that they don't link article titles; they have "read more" links instead, and how many professional content sites have you seen with that? Slashcode, Geeklog and all of the PHPNuke clones are guilty of this, for example. Mambo too, and the blogging applications tend towards it too. Again, I know it's a simple little thing but it's very frustrating. It seems that as soon as someone goes down the CMS path, they try to become all things to all people, when all some are looking for is a really basic CMS for, yes, content management.

Midgard is about the best I've seen around for "proper" content management, but it's a non-trivial application.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fhugh

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It's a very basic complaint I know, but one of the things I don't like about a lot of so-called CMS's is that they don't link article titles; they have "read more" links instead, and how many professional content sites have you seen with that? Slashcode, Geeklog and all of the PHPNuke clones are guilty of this, for example. Mambo too, and the blogging applications tend towards it too. Again, I know it's a simple little thing but it's very frustrating. It seems that as soon as someone goes down the CMS path, they try to become all things to all people, when all some are looking for is a really basic CMS for, yes, content management.

Midgard is about the best I've seen around for "proper" content management, but it's a non-trivial application.

adam

In the latest version of mambo theres an option to switch off the 'read more...' links and just have the title linkable.

H

Yaay! But can it work like a real site, instead of putting articles into rows in a table. (That is, like a news website and suchlike.)

adam /investigates

byte

That Mambo looks pretty neat. Though it uses Simpleboard forum, which I'm not too sure of. I had opted for Postnuke because it supported phpBB2.

That said, it looks pretty good. Plenty of mods out there, and heck, it's even good enough for Mitsubishi Motors! :o

My biggest gripe is Simpleboards, and the uncertainty of being able to convert my existing Invisionboard database. :dunno:

Had a wee look at Plone but I don't really like it.

If I stick with Postnuke, I'm gonna remove the phpBB PN Mod and replace with the supported PNphpBB, which is based on the latest version of phpBB2.

I also get a Server 500 Error when trying to back up my Invision data table using phpMyAdmin. I think it may be the size is too big perhaps. But that's another story!

God help the poor sod who backs up boards.ie as it must take ages! :o

• Advertisement

Nah, that's not gonna work for me at all. The title-linking is an improvement to be sure, and there's no denying it's a good platform, but look at the news section. News/article sites simply don't look like that. Each section should look like the front page.

adam

byte

I was considering running PostNuke and Mambo side by side until I decide on which to choose, based on forum integration and how easy it is to personalise. The "Read More" sections don't bother me as I want it (though its a pity they all look the same, and not have a Top Story option AFAIK).

Of course, as I speak, the Mambo site has went down (would explain why it was so slow to navigate):rolleyes:

Advertisement