Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Beginners question

• 22-02-2004 7:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so i signed up for IOL the other day, and chose the self install package as it was free until etc etc.
    Just wondering about where the modem will plug into (besides the PC...). At the moment I have to connect my dial up into the downstairs phone line because the upstairs connection is too old or something. Will i have to do the same here? will I have a new connection altogether... I really have no idea how BB connects up.... so can anyone help me out???

Thanks alot

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

You will now connect your phoneline to the new modem, and your new modem to the PC with the usb cable. Both cables are supplied.

You may (optionally) connect your existing phones via a little filter to their existing wall sockets. It's so easy I really can't understand why anyone would need to pay an engineer to do it!

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ok, so I dont have to connect it to a regular phone plug in the wall?? I can just connect it directly to the phone line???

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Originally posted by flogen
    ok, so I dont have to connect it to a regular phone plug in the wall?? I can just connect it directly to the phone line???

Flogen
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. The cable supplied connects the modem to the phone line by pluging it into the phone socket, either directly or via the splitter provided if you want to use the same socket to use your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

You use the same outlet that your modem is currently plugged into.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

try yer crappy upstairs phone socket first...if that dont work then its extension lead to downstairs one...a normal phone extension lead does the job ( and has been working for me for months....)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ah cool.....cheers all

I will try the crappy upstairs one first, and if that doesnt work Ill just drill countless holes around my house so the wire isnt in full view as it is at the moment.

I know you say a regular phone line works, but does it have any effect on the speed etc?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Not that I've noticed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The general advice is to connect a broadband connection to the first phone socket in the house. Have never heard or read anyone saying that it makes much of a difference but thats the offical advice!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dub45
    The general advice is to connect a broadband connection to the first phone socket in the house. Have never heard or read anyone saying that it makes much of a difference but thats the offical advice!!!

No it shouldn't make any difference, not at 512k anyway.

BTW you might be interested flogen, I had a simliar set up to you, I had the telephone cable running down the stairs from my bedroom for my dialup modem also, because the telephone connection in my room was awful (When I had the modem plugged into it, all other phones in the house would stop working and I mean even when I wasn't actually connected to the internet, I believe it was a problem with the modem drawing too much power from the line).

However, I found that my DSL works just fine with the splittter off the crap telephone line in my bedroom.

Advertisement