Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons Forum Request

Options
  • 22-02-2004 7:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im not sure if this forum already exists, but if it does I cant find it.... (just delete the thread if it does....)

Anyway, I would like to suggest a Simpsons thread. this could cover all aspects of the show, and it would mean the 'whats your favorite episode' threads from Television and After Hours could be moved to a more dedicated place and stop being repeated every few weeks.

The forum could discuss best episodes, worst episodes, favorite characters... the upcoming film, whats wrong with the new episodes (if you think there is something wrong).

Anyone else agree??

Flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Kunst

not a half bad idea. theres a lot to be discussed so a dedicated thread could free up clutter from various other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i dont think so. what televison's for and the simpsons is crap lately.

But a family guy forum now your talking.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well thats fair enough, but my point is that there are so many topics regarding the simpsons that its best to give it an exclusive forum. I mean, Sienfeld has one because of its cult fan-base, so why not the simpsons? If your looking for a cult following then the simpsons is a perfect example.
    And just because recent episodes havent been that good doesnt mean that the last decade of shows cant be discussed, infact the topic of the drop in quality could be covered quite in-depthly within a simpsons forum.

And I am a huge fan of Family Guy, but with only 3 series (so far) i dont think there is much material to build a forum on... thats not to say that it wouldnt work.
    I think the simpsons has alot of possibilities for a forum... and plenty of people will want to visit it... name their fave episode, give their theories to its 'demise', or rumours about the film, name their favorite character, favorite quotes and even compare it to Futurama or Family Guy...

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Why the hell would you even bother to suggest this, when there's a request for a forum that the simpsons would be right at home in ffs.

the cartoon suggestion?
    well I actually didnt even notice that until after i started the thread, and besides, it looks as though it doesnt have much support as your idea would divide different types of show into different catagories, while i just suggested an exclusive simpsons forum.
    given that there is already a seinfeld forum, i think the simpsons forum would be at least as popular as that, but probably more so.

Flogen

• Advertisement

That's a community forum, and doubt most people would even notice that it was there if it was created same as a lot of forums :(

As for simpsons not fitting in in the anime/animation/manga/whatever forum suggested below, how would it not fit into an animation forum? Just because there'd be other things like futurama, family guy, evangelion, naruto and whatever other anime/manga people want to suggest in there as well, doesn't mean you can't start a simpsons thread in there as well whenever you want. It's the nature of a lot of threads to be recycled endlessly, so it's not really a bad thing if some threads pop up the whole time, hell they can be stickied if nothing else.

It's not my idea by the way, though I do think that it's a good idea to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Boooo, No need.

John

i never said the simpsons couldnt fit in with the cartoon forum suggestion, i just said i think it would work better on its own. there is alot of possible topics as regards the simpsons, and as i mentioned earlier, by making a cartoon forum you are splitting TV into catagories, rather than just selecting a handful of very popular and talked about shows and giving them their own seperate section.

whether the proposed forum was noticed or not is impossible to say, perhaps it will, perhaps it wont. saying that, if it is made Im sure all simpsons related posts that are in other forums would be re-directed and pretty soon most simpsons fans would know where to go for such topics.

Also, i know alot of threads get recycled, but if it was a general cartoons forum, then it would be abit odd to sticky just the afore mentioned simpsons threads, and not do the same for other cartoons... it would also be a pain to have too many stickies, as you can understand.

Flogen

can you elaborate Lump?

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

i agree
    simpsons needs to be discussed in great detail
    and if not...
    *puts on batman suit*

• Advertisement

I didn't mean sticky all the usual simpsons threads, sorry if it came off that way, I meant you could sticky something that came up all the time, and was interesting to discuss, if such a thread existed. Myself, I don't think there's really all that much to discuss about simpsons tbh, you'd have your normal fav. episode, fav. quote ones. then you'd be struggling after one month to come up with anything else. Might be right, might be wrong, never know, that's why I think it's best to have it lumped into a more general forum, like it is with tv at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i am behind it 100% if star trek can get its own forum why can`t the simpsons. simpsons is much more popular than startrek. i think it will be a huge success

who knows, maybe it will dry up, but id say there are enough users and fans here to keep up with their favorite suggestions for different items.
    then there could be threads about new episodes (what people thought), rumours about the movie (which will go on for some time), even people ideas for what theyd like to see on the new episodes (for example id like to see more political jokes).
    then you have your comparison threads, polls relating to various items etc.... or debates about the value of clip shows(which i hate) and the musical episodes. i mean there are thousands of simpsons fansites that have been running for a long time, so why couldnt a forum do the same?
    and i dont expect there to be 1000 hits a day or anything, but id expect a steady stream of users.... as angeloffire said, the simpsons is amazingly popular, so why wouldnt it be a success?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    i am behind it 100% if star trek can get its own forum why can`t the simpsons. simpsons is much more popular than startrek. i think it will be a huge success

Like hell it is

Anyway this forum comes around 10 years to late....The simpons is pure rubbish now and they really should kill it

lets not get into a debate about which is more popular... firstly it is impossible to gauge and secondly Star trek is different entity (if you will) to simpsons, as it includes films and the like.

The idea that its 10 years to late is untrue. as i said, the show may be through a bad spell at the moment, but there is still about 11 series of really enjoyable stuff, maybe more in some peoples opinions.. i think, given the size of the simpsons universe there is alot to talk about... i wont list suggestions again...

Flogen

Originally posted by irishgeo

But a family guy forum now your talking.:D

i was joking about the family guy forum.still think there is no need for a seperate forum for each show.

I see your point about giving too many shows seperate forums, but i think after more than a decade and over 1000 quality shows, countless genius moments and quotes and numerous unforgettable characters a show like The Simpsons deserves one.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Just what we need, an entire board full of "Best Homer Quotes" and suchlike threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by flogen
    can you elaborate Lump?

Flogen

Yea we don't need it because it fits into TV and there are too many boards as it is in my honest opinion. If you get a simpsons board well I want a Sopranos board. Lets be honest, is there enough to talk about Simpsons to justify another board?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oxygen makes up a significant percentage of the earths atmosphere. It's very important to the continuing existence of life on this planet. It's also used to help patients recover from illness and trauma. Surely the need for an oxygen forum is obvious? It's special enough to not be in a more general forum about air as air is mostly nitrogen, which imho is less important than oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The length some people go to try to become a mod...

although oxygen forum would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by amp
    Oxygen makes up a significant percentage of the earths atmosphere. It's very important to the continuing existence of life on this planet. It's also used to help patients recover from illness and trauma. Surely the need for an oxygen forum is obvious? It's special enough to not be in a more general forum about air as air is mostly nitrogen, which imho is less important than oxygen.
    If he gets Oxygen.. Well then I want a Hot Air forum. Hot Air is very popular around here. I would also suggest that not only do we have a simpsons forum, but maybe we should have a sub-forae for each of the characters. I would volunteer my services to moderate the Barney sub-forum. Oh that belch****

Originally posted by lafortezza
    The length some people go to try to become a mod...

He's certainly persistent. This is the fifth forum he's proposed.

I think a Hot Air forum is too generic and talk about Oxygen would be poluted with other elements.

If the Oxygen forum doesn't get created, how about one about tabletennis balls? There are billions of such balls and their uses are not limited to tabletennis. Sure there's not much discussion about them right now but if we build it they will come.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by amp
    how about one about tabletennis balls? There are billions of such balls and their uses are not limited to tabletennis. Sure there's not much discussion about them right now but if we build it they will come.

if this should come to pass, then I feel a subsection called ‘Priscilla Queen of the Desert’ is well called for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by amp
    He's certainly persistent. This is the fifth forum he's proposed.
    The mod forum must be a hedonistic paradise all right. I've heard vague rumours of punch, pie, various cake, and atrocious sexual practices going on between the mods incorporating Dev's legendary 'coke and hookers' shenanigans. This must not be allowed to continue.

I propose a new forum "Boards Investigative Trial Committee (Hedonism division)"**

I will be mod naturally

** BITCH for short

Dude, that's Boards Events.

why not a froum request forum :D

illl mod and will love to shoot down all the forum requests that i feel are not needed.

Ill ban anyone as well who propses more than 1 forum in a ceratin time period at my discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Cough!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

fúck em

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishgeo
    why not a froum request forum :D

illl mod and will love to shoot down all the forum requests that i feel are not needed.

Ill ban anyone as well who propses more than 1 forum in a ceratin time period at my discretion.

Nice idea but I feel it'd take the fun out of F/S.

Also I've checked and haven't been able to find a forum for insects. Insects are the most common life form on this planet and I can't believe they have no forum to discuss things like:

Best place to hide the Queen.
    The best flowers to get pollen from.
    Building a better termite colony.
    Who is that fucker who keeps stealing our honey?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement