Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing BB 4ever...

• 22-02-2004 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've posted before on this, and since then I've still been trying to get BB. Infact at one stage I did pass the BB test. Fact is that I am within the distance as neighbours have it but the line fails constantly. Now the house has extentions... so I took them out, also I had a cordless phone so thats been replaced by the old telephone (no touch tone dialing in my house :) now)
    So basically at the moment I'm waiting for a live test to be done so I can pass (hopefully) Eircom don't know when the line tests are being done, they say every 4 to six weeks... My house is driven mad with phone calls having to be made from the Hall (where the line comes into the house, (no extentions)). So anyway to hurry up the process. If this fails, Leap are installing wireless 2 miles away (in our line of sight) but thats 3 months away. Games are all I want BB for, so pings are important... Alternatively I could take the gamble and pay €120 odd for a new line and hope that passes.

Any ideas, help, etc...?

Thanks!

Sniipe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭KILLER.BEE

i hope this mite help you

my exchange was up dated just 3 weeks ago and i did the online test
    and it did not pass at the time i have a isnd and had it change to a psdn
    as for the pre-qual test is only a database that the engineer updates.
    if you want to pass this is all you do ,,go to the exchange chat to the engineer
    and get him or her to test the line for falts that mite be on the line
    and get him to see if its ok for BB i was so lucky to have a very nice man at the exchange and he did a few test there at the exchange and the line was not good enuf for bb there was a small falt some where one the line worked out it was the line in the house he came up the the house pulled up the old one the in the house about 12 feet of it and slapped down the new on and bingo pass his bb test he or she will tell you there and then so dont think about calling eircom for the help the dont know and about the lines passing or not untill the engineer updates the test .2 days later it pass the online test he updated it

so criteria are for passing for RADSL and ADSL chat to the engineer

hes the only one that will help you to pass on any exchange

galway\Athenry exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If you're with Eircom as your CPS, ring up their sales and tell them your situation. Then tell them that you're half tempted to move to another provider for telephony unless they can guarantee you broadband within the next month.

If you're with another non-Eircom CPS, ring Eircom and say you're tempted to move back to them for broadband but you're having intermitten line pass problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

well this is my problem we used to have a join telephone line with my nans where we'd have to press 9 for us to get a outside line mean we have a wierd looking tranciever box in the attic and im also on isdn

Well anyways i was taking to eircoms customer care and she said they will have to remove isdn before i could order which is wierd because i said to her i failed the test online okay she said she'd send a engi out to my house to remove the lot and he would test it .................... i dunno if this is true but god i hope so all my naigbors are after getting bb which means im here paying 300 euro bill for ever with isdn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by LastIrishMonkey
    well this is my problem we used to have a join telephone line with my nans where we'd have to press 9 for us to get a outside line mean we have a wierd looking tranciever box in the attic and im also on isdn

Well anyways i was taking to eircoms customer care and she said they will have to remove isdn before i could order which is wierd because i said to her i failed the test online okay she said she'd send a engi out to my house to remove the lot and he would test it .................... i dunno if this is true but god i hope so all my naigbors are after getting bb which means im here paying 300 euro bill for ever with isdn :(

Why not just get a second phone line in and avoid all that hassle? Tell the biddy in Eircom why you want the line, in this case for BB and NOT for phone calls and if the line fails refuse to pay untill you get a line that will take BB.

Remember to kick up a stick as much as possable as most of the Eircom biddies will just say "no" to all you question and complaints so you will bugger off and leave them alone. Make such a fuss over the issue that they will get you sorted out with BB just so you will bugger off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

KILLER.BEE, I wonder if ur man will come out to my house :) that was very sound of him. Galway/Mervue Exchange by the way.
    The changing telephony might not be a bad idea, there are of course cheaper companies out there.
    The difference might allow me to get IBB. Time to get my dialing finger out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

As I understand it getting new line in might just result in them splitting the line (if they want to keep the old phone number) which almost guarantees the line will fail. I'm not sure that can do line splitting anymore but you never know.

Also Eircom have no legal obligation to guarantee the line for anything other than voice. There may be a requirement that it can take data at minimum speeds of 1200bps but thats it.

Still kicking up a fuss might be the way to go.

when that engi calls im going to ask him a ****e load of questions and ask him to get me broad band ready and plead with him on my hands and nees to get me bb :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Venom
    Tell the biddy in Eircom why you want the line, in this case for BB and NOT for phone calls and if the line fails refuse to pay untill you get a line that will take BB

that wont work because:
    Originally posted by machalla
    Eircom have no legal obligation to guarantee the line for anything other than voice. There may be a requirement that it can take data at minimum speeds of 1200bps but thats it

When Adsl was first launched I got a new second line installed for DSL only. The thing failed, I was left with a bill and an extra phone line which I didnt need.

omg thats nasty :mad:

listen i got another phone call for eircom bb service saying im lifen to near the city not to get bb and they will do there best to get it to me, which was nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by machalla
    Also Eircom have no legal obligation to guarantee the line for anything other than voice. There may be a requirement that it can take data at minimum speeds of 1200bps but thats it.

I think comreg dropped that to 0k???
    As for second line, ye people in eircom tend to advise against that too. Talking to an engineer is best thing or someone inside eircom. My line was failing for two months there, got my aunt to talk to someone inside eircom, got line back passing and no I have BB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement