Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Piercing

Options
  • 22-02-2004 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I'm a 22 year old guy and am considering getting my tongue done. Before I do so I want to know all there is to know about it.

Whats the procedure?
    Does it hurt?
    Will my tongue swell up?
    What can I eat and not eat?
    How long does it take to heal?
    And what are the after care does and don't?

Thanks,
    memphis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Whats the procedure?
    Piercer will check your tongue first of all, some people may not be eligible to have there tongue pierced because of veins but the majority would be. If the check is ok you will then be asked to rinse your mouth with mouthwash then your tongue will be clamped and pierced.

Does it hurt?
    The piercing itself doesn't hurt it's a slight pinch it wouldn't even make you say *owch*.

Will my tongue swell up?
    Yes there will be some amount of swelling but if pierced correctly that will be reduced and what I mean by that the piercer should give you a large bar first of all to allow for swelling. It will be swollen for a few days.

What can I eat not eat?
    Well personally I couldnt eat anything solid for 3 days and dairy products should also be avoided during that time.

How long does it take to heal?
    6-8 weeks but could be longer depending on how much you play around with it.

After care does and dont?
    Try avoid over playing with it,smoking will prolong the healing. Use a non-alcoholic mouthwash. You will be given an aftercare sheet anyway.

I would recommend getting it done in Snakebite they are the most professional place around in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

My girlfriend has it done. She's really squeamish and has an incredibly low pain threshold and she said she barely felt it.

She said that the swelling wore off after a week or so. She lived off mushed up liga and ice-cream and some babyfood aswell I think for a few days.

She's had it done for over a year and never cleaned it about 3 weeks after getting it done and nothing has ever happened it except the balls being really stiff and hard to change. Apparently it takes care of itself once you get it healed a bit. I think she used saltwater to clean it at the start aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Thanks for the replies, but I think ye two have put me off the whole idea of getting it done.

I couldn't bare to go with a swollen up tongue and living on mushed up food until it heals.

I mean is it REALLY worth the hassle?

Its nothing, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by memphis
    Thanks for the replies, but I think ye two have put me off the whole idea of getting it done.

I couldn't bare to go with a swollen up tongue and living on mushed up food until it heals.

I mean is it REALLY worth the hassle?

It's not like you can't eat for weeks, it'll only be swollen for a few days, and if you start sucking ice cubes and drinking cold drinks as soon as you get it done the swelling will be greatly reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Im actually going to get a tongue piercing now based on what you guys said sounds fine, i just have a few questions really

where's the best place to get it done... i know I am man said Snakebite is the best place and if thats the general consensus then I'll go there

and more importantly i unfortunately work in a communist regime environment here in work long hair on guys is barely excepted so i doubt a tongue piercing will go down to well, during the time that your tongue is swollen up how noticeable is it? and can you talk properly without sounding like you have a tennis ball in your mouth

and is the piercing noticeable after the swelling goes down?

Thanks guys

Originally posted by AL][EN

where's the best place to get it done... i know I am man said Snakebite is the best place and if thats the general consensus then I'll go there

Snakebite or Celestial Ring in the stephens green centre (top floor). I'm not a fan of bodyshock myself, I think they've gone a bit up themselves and can be quite intimidating for people who aren't covered in tattoo's and piercings.

You can get a clear acrylic barbel for the piercing once it's healed, it's best to keep the SSS/titanium bar in while it's healing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Was gona pop in on saturday and get this done, but couldnt have been bothered, said i'd leave it till this week.. where bouts snakebite located? temple is it? whats it beside? don't think I've ever passed/noticed it.. though I don;t think I'd be able to get my tounge pierced because of the wirey thing that holds your tounge underneth(hope i can get it done) cause it would be a wreak the head as I can't get coloured contacts either for my left eye :(

Snakebite is located on middle abbey street on the left hand side to 'traffic' its only a little door you will have to press the buzzer and then walk a few flights of stairs up to it and, tongue piercings can be done at slight angles or other way if your frenulum is in the way but they should be able to work around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

if you just look up theres a bleedin massive sign that i only noticed a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

thanks, are they open latish on fridays?
    wana try an pop in after work..

Sorry guys, but I'm not from the big city that ye people call "The Cap-til"

I'm a Tipp man. can anyone recommend a good peircing parlour in the Tipp/Limerick/Waterford regions?

I'm still not yet convinced, but I'm certainly still cinsidering the whole idea.

Thanks for the the replies!!!

Memphis

Stop making such an issue out of it a tongue piercing is a mainstream pussy piercing just get it done their is nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I got mine done last year.

Yes my tongue swelled up a little but i was able to eat the day i got it done. Its just a little tricker thats all. You will just talk funny for about 2 days but after that your should be fine.

Originally posted by Lenny
    thanks, are they open latish on fridays?
    wana try an pop in after work..

I think they're open late on Thursday til 7 or 8. They're open on Saturday too

rightyo popped into snakebite and got an estimate (yes im that broke) im deff gonna get it done if i can they said they'd have to check it out first as i might not be able to get one in my tounge depending on the veins n stuff.

memphis seriously man just chill i checked the place out it looks fine (and im REALLY REALLY squeemsih about needles i cant even stand having my blood taken) if you that worries take a few days off work/college (its what im gonna do) maybe a web thurs and fri that means you'll have 5 days before your back.

thanks all for the advise i was told that there were some risks that are involved with piercing ( i assume infections n stuff ) but seriously how bad can it be i mean if it was life threatenly dangerous people wouldnt do it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It'll be well worth when done, just think about the ladies.

I'm getting mine done in the summer when I can finally afford it, cuz I'll be working. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If ya use an antibacterial mouthwash and brush your teeth ya shouldn't have to worry about infections... :D

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    If ya use an antibacterial mouthwash and brush your teeth ya shouldn't have to worry about infections... :D

:D

AL][EN how was your estimate?

another question, are yea able to drink the day you get it done and the day after?

• Advertisement

Yeah ye guys are right.

I maybe over-reacting a little. I just want it to be right. I got my eyebrow done over 12 months ago and had to take it out about 3 months later cos it was pushing it way out. Have been left with a scar since. So, I suppose ye can see why I'm a little iffy about getting my tongue done.

Anyway, back to my last question! Can anyone recommend some place in Tipp? Or even Waterford or Limerick?

I got a tattoo done in Limerick in Bullman's, does he do peircing there too? I can't remember, and if so is he good???!!

memphis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Yeah, Danny Bullman's place does piercing too link . Haven't had anything done by them myself so I don't know if they're any good.

I'd recommend Destiny bodypiercing. Found them excellent, they know their stuff and the staff are very friendly. I think it has a different name now, though (not sure what it is). It's in Foxes Bow.

Anyone know if its that bad drinking after you getting it done?
    wana get it tomorrow.. but its friday and everyone from work is goin to the pub.. :/

Lenny: you're not supposed to smoke / drink / swim for a few weeks (6 if i remember properly) after you get it done. But especially not on the the day you get it done :p
    Why not get it done on Saturday? Problem solved :D

Saturday= even more drinking night! :p

I thought alchol is a good for cleaning wounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

That destiny body piercing on foxes bow in Limerick has changed hands, and I wouldn't go there again if you paid me. Before the staff were friendly and seemed fairly into the whole tattoos piercing thing, but now the last time I got something pierced the 2 new piercers were unfriendly, curt and didn't have any body piercings, when I'm getting something done, I want someone with a few body piercings.

Walked up and down abbery screet looking for snakebite.. no sign of it, walked past spirit lotsa times.. so had to go to metal morpheus to get it done .. :/
    it wasn't that bad, today i am able to talk much better ad eating is a little uncoomfortable.. but just like everything else, the healing period isn't always just a blow in.. I'll say by next week I will be grand, I have little or no swelling today and I got it done yesterday

Originally posted by Dave
    That destiny body piercing on foxes bow in Limerick has changed hands, and I wouldn't go there again if you paid me. Before the staff were friendly and seemed fairly into the whole tattoos piercing thing, but now the last time I got something pierced the 2 new piercers were unfriendly, curt and didn't have any body piercings, when I'm getting something done, I want someone with a few body piercings.

:( That's a pity. Didn't know it had changed hands. I thought they were very good. I don't think I'd get anything done by someone who has no piercings. Not that it means anything really, but it doesn't exactly breed confidence. It's more reassuring when the piercer is into it themselves

There's a place in Clonmel now upstairs in O'Connells mall, think its only there a year or so. Can anyone comment on the place and staff?

If they are good I could get it done there, however I'd be more inclined to go to somewhere that has a good name and can be recommended by others, with good staff, with plenty of experience. I don't want it done by just anyone.

I'm definately gonna do it, just need to find the time. Think I'll wait til the summer.

Memphis

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lenny
    Walked up and down abbery screet looking for snakebite.. no sign of it, walked past spirit lotsa times.. so had to go to metal morpheus to get it done .. :/

Eh? Are ye blind Lenny? It's RIGHT next door to Traffic, if you just look up you can see a huge sign outside their window! And they usually have one of those sandwich boards on the pavement outside.

Silly Lenny! :OP

Advertisement