Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doherty

• 23-02-2004 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I can maybe see how English people can pronounce Haughey as Hockey, or McGrath as McGraf, but how do they get Dockerty from Doherty? There is no 'c' or 'k' sound in it at all.

Anyone know why they pronounce it like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's sometimes spelled "Dougherty" hence the sound you're referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I suppose that could be it. I was specifically talking about a certain footballer who's surname is Doherty yet all the English commentators pronounce it as Dockerty. It's not printed on his shirt as Dougherty, although maybe the Dougherty spelling was the first time they came across the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I would imagine that'd be the reason why they pronounce it that way. Can't think of any others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Could be cos thats how the Scots pronounce it? There was a famous football manager in the 70's called Tommy Docherty (with a C) and his name os pronounced the way they're currently mispronouncing Gary, Ken etc so the English comms. probably just bunched our name in with the Scots version without taking the time to notice the slight difference.

On the topic of Irish names mispronouned abroad some others I've noticed are 'Kernaghan' (Kern-a-gan) 'Moran' (Muh-ran) and 'Taoiseach' (I-rish-Prime-Min-is-ter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Pigman II
    'Moran' (Muh-ran)
    A friend has to pronounce his name Mur-ann for Americans to understand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Doherty is a Donegal name, and is originally Ó Dochartaigh in Irish. It was anglicised first as O'Dogherty and O'Dougherty, but finally ended up (O')Doherty. The Scots turned the 'h' into 'ch' a lot of the time, so most Doherty's that ended up in Scotland years ago ended up as Dochertys. You can also see this for the Gallagher name, that ended up Gallacher for Kirsty of Kirsty's Home Videos "fame", or Sarah MacLachlan (McLaughlin).

I presume the footballer you're talking about is Gary Doherty (he's the only Doherty footballer I'm aware of). I've only ever heard English people pronouncing the name normally, so I presume maybe it's just the footballing circles that would have been familiar with Tommy Docherty that would pronounce it Dockerty.

And no, I'm not a Doherty, but I used to work for the Ó Dochartaigh (Doherty) Clan Association for a few years, so I've met loads of English/American/Australian/Spanish (yeah, Flight of the Earls descendents) Dohertys.

Advertisement