Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Codecs

Options
  • 23-02-2004 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Hey whenever i download a video from kazaa i can never ever get a picture, just the sound. kazaa doesnt give a reason but media player says theres an error downloading the codec, what can i do to play the videos ive (painstakingly) downloaded?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

it may be DIVX try downloading the divx player...

divx.com

Thanks joePC.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ya in most cases it will be divx but sometimes its xvid just search on google its good to have both codec's installed, they arnt officaly supported by microsoft thats why media player cant download them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

google a program called Gspot

download it

run it

point it towards the video file

whall la it tells you what codec you'll need

google what ever codec it tells you that you need.

install the codec

watch your video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ah never heard of that program before
    nice one might come in handy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

download the kazza lite codec pack its very good and has all the codecs needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey thanks very much guys very helpful as always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

get Video Lan.

It'll play any sort of video file no hassle at all.

afaik, there's a prog for Windows Media Player to allow it to play everything aswell...not sure tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

That is media player classic. It is freeware based on windows media player 6. It will player any video and audio aslong as the codec is installed. Basically instead of opening up windows media player for .wmv and divx for .avi and quicktime for .mov etc. media player classic will open up and play. Uses less system resources than WMP quicktime or divx-player. winamp does the same but media player classic loads quicker and has more features. google should find it easily it is a small program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by D
    That is media player classic. It is freeware based on windows media player 6.
    NO NO NO it LOOKS like WMP6 it's not based on it - it's open source do you really think MS would open source any of their code?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

What i meant was media player 6 had the same feature of playing anything aslong as the codec was installed. That was why glenstad or whatever that person's name was created media player classic. It was inspired by windows media player 6 and was coded to duplicate it's features

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

One important difference.
    WMP, MPC, BSPlayer, Winamp5 etc. all use the DirectShow/ActiveX method for codecs.

VideoLAN client has everything built-in as modules, doesn't rely on any external apps or codecs that aren't part of the installation package.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you visit Doom9.org, you can download their codec pack, which should pretty much cover 95% of most codec requirements out there. This is what I did, and I've never had any problems viewing any type of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mplayer for Windows is the business, very low CPU usage and comes with pretty much every popular codec you can think of built in.

Download it from: http://www.christianroessler.net/mplayer/index.php

When lending movies to friends, I use Movix (http://movix.sourceforge.net) which is based on Mplayer to make bootable movie cds :)

Advertisement