Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal are bankrupt!

• 23-02-2004 2:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

well if old red nose himself said it it must be true :rolleyes:

think fergie has enough on his plate before making unfounded comments like that,
    he probably read it on his "wish list"

Arsenal are one of the best run clubs in the world and wenger has the degree in economics not fergie

you could say that its only mind games but they are just stupid comments and are below the belt as far as im concerned!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal Manager Arsène Wenger enthused: "This is very exciting news. This Club has such an illustrious past but today is one of the most important dates in our history. It has been a big target of mine to participate in pushing the Club forward and relocating to a new stadium is a necessity as it will enable us to become of one the biggest clubs in the world. Also, I love the fact that the new site is so close to Highbury, it's where our heart is and from a personal point of view, I am hopeful of being the Arsenal manager when we move to the new stadium in 2006."
    Woot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Eh? What exactly did ferguson say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ha looks like there is egg on mr fungus' face again!

he said basicly that he read somewhere that arsenal could go into administration next year

arsenal confirm funding for new stadium
    nice link here

que all the dreamers that will say henry and co are heading abroad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errr where did you see "Sir Alco" say this ?

Seems to be a bit of a non story.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

'I read this week that Arsenal could go into administration next year. You would hate to think anything like that could happen to a club with such tradition and history.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=291938&cc=5739

comparing leeds with arsenal!!:rolleyes:

as regards the new stadium
    i cant resist!!!
    ts22_l.jpg

ts13_l.jpg

building work actually started 6 weeks ago
    not bad for a bankrupt club :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Ferguson is loosing is big time – Arsenal really rub him up the wrong way – kinda like Liverpool used to.

He reminds me a bit of Brian Clough is the last few months at Forest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I hope they call it Ashburton Grove. I hate stupid names like "The Reebok Stadium", etc.

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I hope they call it Ashburton Grove. I hate stupid names like "The Reebok Stadium", etc.

Imagine "The O2 Stadium" or "O2 Park":eek:

• Advertisement

Ugh. If they went mad, they could have "The Nike, O2, and Barclay's Ground".

/me reaches for sick bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

FFS Jank, Fergie winds you up the same way Wenger winds him up! 'Arsenal are bankrupt' your you title your thread - you credit your comments to SAF. Read his quote

'I read this week that Arsenal could go into administration next year. You would hate
    to think anything like that could happen to a club with such tradition and history.'

Where does he say they are bankrupt? You're not just taking what he said out of context you're deliberately misquoting him so you can have a pop. Then again, nothing you say on boards.ie surprises me anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

or Eircom Park!

business lesson one for SteM
    bankrupt, insolvent -- (someone who has insufficient assets to cover their debts)
    administration: The act or process of administering, especially the management of a government or large institution.

going into adminstration means that they are bust and other forms of management take over the company/organisation because..........they are...Bankrupt :)

"Leeds' massive reversal in fortune since then emphasises how costly it can be trying to compete with the world's richest club and, despite the bitter rivalry between fans of the two teams, Ferguson does not gain any pleasure from their demise.

'What has happened is very sad and there are a few other clubs teetering on the brink just like they are,' he said. 'Maybe they are not as exposed as Leeds but certainly a lot of clubs with the same kind of financial problems."

StevM did you even read the articale?
    i know it is a wind up and he is trying to play his mind games but wenger has been more than a match for him in the past
    but he is just making idiotic comments like that!

how about wenger came out saying he thinks utd will go into administration next year!?
    he would be laughed off and harshly critized for a stupid comment while fergie's comments are just swept under the carpet

personally i dont mind but it just goes to show that fergie aint all that!
    magnier anybody??

Originally posted by SteM
    FFS Jank, Fergie winds you up the same way Wenger winds him up! 'Arsenal are bankrupt' your you title your thread - you credit your comments to SAF. Read his quote

'I read this week that Arsenal could go into administration next year. You would hate
    to think anything like that could happen to a club with such tradition and history.'

Where does he say they are bankrupt? You're not just taking what he said out of context you're deliberately misquoting him so you can have a pop. Then again, nothing you say on boards.ie surprises me anymore.

If they go into Administration there hardly rolling in it!

Arsenal administration ha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually Jank I have a bone to pick with you over the title as well. You nearly gave me a bloody heart attack. For around 2 seconds I knew what it was like to be a Leeds supporter and for that I will never forgive you :D

Gandalf.

Originally posted by jank

how about wenger came out saying he thinks utd will go into administration next year!?
    he would be laughed off and harshly critized for a stupid comment while fergie's comments are just swept under the carpet

True

Originally posted by gandalf
    Actually Jank I have a bone to pick with you over the title as well. You nearly gave me a bloody heart attack. For around 2 seconds I knew what it was like to be a Leeds supporter and for that I will never forgive you

Gandalf.

lol yea poor leeds:(
    hope this mornings news made your heart feel a little better :p

business lesson one for SteM
    bankrupt, insolvent -- (someone who has insufficient assets to cover their debts)
    administration: The act or process of administering, especially the management of a government or large institution.

going into adminstration means that they are bust and other forms of management take over the company/organisation because..........they are...Bankrupt :)

"Leeds' massive reversal in fortune since then emphasises how costly it can be trying to compete with the world's richest club and, despite the bitter rivalry between fans of the two teams, Ferguson does not gain any pleasure from their demise.

'What has happened is very sad and there are a few other clubs teetering on the brink just like they are,' he said. 'Maybe they are not as exposed as Leeds but certainly a lot of clubs with the same kind of financial problems."

StevM did you even read the articale?
    i know it is a wind up and he is trying to play his mind games but wenger has been more than a match for him in the past
    but he is just making idiotic comments like that!

personally i dont mind but it just goes to show that fergie aint all that!
    magnier anybody??

1) I don't need you to teach me anything - you're defination of 'bankrupt' is pointless as I said before you've misquited SAF.
    2) You're thread title and what was actually said are worlds apart - you're misquoting.
    3) It's a fact that there are other clubs in the Premiership close to administration. Was Ferguson incorrect to say this?
    4) Yes, I read the article, it a nothing piece. A man says says something, it winds you up and and you start a thread misquoting him.
    5) Wenger would have no reason to say that, United are one of the few financially sound football clubs in England. Would it bother me? No, 'cause it's nowhere close to being true.

Congratulations should go to Arsenal for borrowing enough to build a new staduim - 60,000 will be an inpressive amount. Will be second largest in England won't it behind OT won't it? Jank, you really do have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to United don't you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Stem, the insuation by SAF was that Arsenal could be going bankrupt. Tbh I don't think Jank has misquoted him all that much. Maybe he was just a touch sensationlist, thats all.

• Advertisement

since you love the word misquoting ill let you read it agian

fergie said what he said put 2 + 2 togehter please
    old red nose himself has no foundation in saying that yes it is true that their are some english clubs in difficultity but arsenal are not one of them so he was wrong factualy wrong
    that is a fact not a misquote

and im not arguing with who has the largest stadium either old trafford is full of prawn sandwich tpes anyway

Originally posted by vorbis
    Stem, the insuation by SAF was that Arsenal could be going bankrupt. Tbh I don't think Jank has misquoted him all that much. Maybe he was just a touch sensationlist, thats all.

Jank could be writing headlines for The Sun on the evidence of this thread title. ;)

I still don't understand where

translates into

'Arsenal are bankrupt!'.

That's changing what a person said and it's a misquote, but sure he'll never admit to that.

Would you be happy with "Arsenal could be bankrupt next year"??

since you love the word misquoting ill let you read it agian

fergie said what he said put 2 + 2 togehter please
    old red nose himself has no foundation in saying that yes it is true that their are some english clubs in difficultity but arsenal are not one of them so he was wrong factualy wrong
    that is a fact not a misquote

and im not arguing with who has the largest stadium either old trafford is full of prawn sandwich tpes anyway

Jank, will you look at what you're typing. How does:

translate into 'Arsenal are bankrupt!'.

Look, there doesn't seem to be any point to discussing this with you anymore. Like anything United related it seems to drive you to make irrational statements and we'll just end up going around in circles. I'll stop before I get dizzy :(

As said before the title is sensationalist.

The actual title should be " Arsenal will be bankrupt next year " - Sir (dont forget:D) AF.

ok the title may be sensationalist but if my title is that then what the hell is something like "battle of old trafford"!!
    made the title that way to attention much like the way papers sell stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

lets just hope its only a 53000 seater stadium , then they'll still be behind the toon :D

bankrupt is basically the same meaning as being in administration/liquidation/receivership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a fine stadium is on the cards. looks amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Fit for Champions! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i wonder if the atmosphere will improve?

The atmosphere was great at Wembley on the odd occasion that we weren't getting wooped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Firstly - Jank - AF did not say that Arsenal ARE bankrupt he said they may be bankrupt next year - i.e. in the future - not yet etc.

Secondly he said that he "read somewhere" which means . . well . he read it somewhere !

He didn't make this up - it's a well publicised fact that Arsenal are in debt to the tune of almost 46 million pounds. Ferguson is quoting something he read he is not stating that they are bankrupt.

Mis-quoting and out of context - some things never change !

Tinky

Er, i've never heard of this 'fact' before. Back it up?

No problem !!

Reuters

tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Interesting article Tinky. I would not think those figures include the full 20 million spent on Reyes either

• Advertisement

*/ sound of crickets in background /*

Tinky

Originally posted by tinky

He didn't make this up - it's a well publicised fact that Arsenal are in debt to the tune of almost 46 million pounds. Ferguson is quoting something he read he is not stating that they are bankrupt.

Tinky

well...
    Mis-quoting and out of context - some things never change !

sorry you beat me to it :)

eh could you post a link to back up your claim to say that these debts were NOT incured because of AG

these debts are effectively gone, under the loans aggread today
    i know your skills at googling so ill let you find out the real facts and figures as regards arsenals finances

you could say that they are £357 million in debt but then again only an idiot would believe that or a utd fan :)

[edit] i thought you could do better than that, however it does give a great insight and economic detail into the finanaces of the club [\sarcasm]
    where are the hindu times ??:D

hmm. looked up on that a bit further and according to the times at least, the majority of that debt is caused by the ashburton grove. its all a bit confusing, though it says they made a £4.5m profit for the year.

i'd doubt the figures include 20 million spent on Reyes either Phenom, considering he cost 7.5m this financial year

you could say that they are £357 million in debt but then again only an idiot would believe that or a utd fan

Or a bank manager !!! I never mentioned anything about AG ! I simply stated a fact that was true up until today !

The financial statement released last September says they have debts of over 45 milion, if that was due to AG then, before today when the finance was confirmed, Arsenal were in debt.

If the finances for AG had not been secured then they would be in a bit of a pickle. Ferguson's "statement" was made a few days ago so at that point Arsenal were in financial trouble. That was my point Jank.

Tinky

Oh dear - seems things are getting worse. Arsenal FC have had to hold a tupperware to raise funds !!!!

From bad to worse !!!!:D

tinky

• Advertisement

but to be honest there was never anydoubt that the AG project was not going ahead unless you believe tripe like the sun

over the summer they filled up the papers with $hit about arsenal going under and henry, wenger and viera leaving for madrid (something you still believe well the henry part anyway) this announcment is like a big up yours to the tabloid media who wrote arsenal off so many times before the season even started...............................

i could go on but I aint counting my chickens yet ill finish it at the end of the season

but were still unbeaten and that is something to be very proud of

Oh dear - seems things are getting worse. Arsenal FC have had to hold a tupperware to raise funds !!!!

tinky

man you have way too much free time on your hands!
    im sure if i have hours to spare i could get a link of some kind of manchester united clone in the far east that participate in exorcism to raise the profile of their club in the local village

sad indeed!!:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tinky

LOL:D

tinky

LOL:rolleyes:

Jeez where's yer sense of humour guys? Is that one of them sacrifices you make to support Arsenal or are you all trying to immitate your teams manager !!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Tinky

oh i have a sense of humor alright :rolleyes:
    a typical utd fan!?

I could spend the nest 4 hours looking for something similar but i couldnt be arsed really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

THIS HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST BULL**** THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN...

WILL SOMEONE CLOSE IT DOWN!!!

ITS NEITHER FUNNY NOR DOES IN CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING DECENT..

GOD JANK GIVE IT A REST

oh i have a sense of humor alright :rolleyes:
    a typical utd fan!?

I could spend the nest 4 hours looking for something similar but i couldnt be arsed really

LOL sarcasm is just lost on some people.

THIS HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST BULL**** THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN...

WILL SOMEONE CLOSE IT DOWN!!!

ITS NEITHER FUNNY NOR DOES IN CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING DECENT..

GOD JANK GIVE IT A REST

Here Here

I agree with jesus_thats_gre. Muppet too, amazingly.

Originally posted by kaids
    I agree with jesus_thats_gre. Muppet too, amazingly.

HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLEEE..... EEELUJAH !!!!!!! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement