Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just recieved eircom Broadband

• 23-02-2004 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just registered. I stumbled across this forum while googling the words "Eircom" and "Sucks" :p

So far, im not too overly impressed with this service. The first thing that hit me was the wait.. two and a half weeks to recieve a blasted modem ffs!
    I got the modem just a few days ago. Im expecting something like my 56k, get a number and dial it up. So this confused the hell out of me. I follow the instructions, I choose the ethernet options, because I have this lovely wirless router that I bought, which I thought I was going to be able to use with this product*. So I cant get it to work. I ring eircom, the tech help guy, who didnt seem to know how to speak INTO the phone, told me to do aload of stuff, which didnt help at all. So I rang them again, same story, load of crap that didnt help. I rang them up the third time and I get a nice loud man from cork who I can hear correctly, albeit maybe not understand him fully ;) , but still he was alot more helpfull, he got my connection running fine. Then what do you know, my connection stops working. And after 15 minutes it starts working again.... And low and behold 2 hours later it stops again, this time while im downloading a large file.
    This service is pissing me off. Excuse my language but it is. What other Broadband service anywhere disconnects constantly. Several times a day, the service is down for 10-15 minutes. Anyone have any info on why this happens?
    Also, I have a 4GB cap with no way of knowing how much of that cap I have used up. They have not provided me with any info on how to view such a thing anyhow.

Not overly impressed. I think I should have waited until NTL was available, 600K for 40 euros, and none of this disconnecting nonsense.

/bri

*Does anyone have any info on how to set a router up to a router :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

If your one of the last people to get connected to Eircom’s I-stream (ends at the end of feb) then your cap is 8 GB’s not 4 with a connection ratio of 24/1 (from the 25 feb) also http://broadbanddownload.eircom.net is an address you can find your download stats and such, Just pop in your username and password.
    Don’t know why it’s disconnecting on you but if this post is moved to the broadband forum you may get some answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Thank you very much god's toy. I ordered BB on the 2nd of feb, and got it 3 days ago. So im gonna be upgraded? Yay :D

Could a mod move this to the BroadBand forum for me please? :cool:

edit/ I just checked that site, and I do indeed have an 8gb cap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by mang87
    What other Broadband service anywhere disconnects constantly. Several times a day,

clicksilver... (maybe not several times a day though). Several times a week for hours a day is more like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

because I have this lovely wirless router that I bought, which I thought I was going to be able to use

Did you also buy a wireless card for your pc/laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

why would you want to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Originally posted by adonis
    why would you want to do this?

Becuase the caymen modem eircom supplys is a 1 port ethernet router. So they just did this to piss us off and screw us up and to make it harder for a person who is not that familure with computers to set up the router, which should be quite simple.

so I had to go and get a router to hook up to that caymen...

I had a linksys, but it was a pile of ****

So I got a Netgear WRG614v2 and it has solved both problems, my routing problem AND my disconnecting problem. I just set the cayman modem/router to bridge mode, and used the router to dial the net through the modem, which is what they are supposed to do anyway, but eircom wanted to make it just that little bit more difficult for the average pc user to do this. Well anyway it must have been an issue the cayman modem had with incoming calls that was making me disconnect, because since I have added the router to the equation I am not getting disconnected.

Also I have my wireless network set up, I highly recommend this Netgear wireless router :rup:
    And im using the Linksys WUSB11 2.6, which unlike the router, is great, the secound I hooked it up and installe dthe software windows instantly opened the connectin and bam, I was connected to the wireless router and on the net.

but anyway I have since solved these problems (Yesterday):)

Advertisement