Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gene Wolfe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

I read Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe and to be honest I was very surprised by the reviews it got at Amazon.
    :dunno:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend it and I don't intend to buy the sequel or anything else by this author.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Just so I can guage, what did you think of the first person style used in the Farseer series by Robin Hobb, because I flicked through Shadow & Claw and it seemed to be in firstperson... was it a problem with the story or how it was written that turned you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

It was the writing style more than anything else ( Now that I think about it I'm probably not very demanding plot wise ).
    I'm afraid I haven't read any of Hobb's books yet but in Wolfe's book the first person narration meant there were often references like
    "I wouldn't see her again / fully understand until much later...."
    There was too much hindsight and reminiscing in the story for my tastes and those seemed to imply too much about what was going to happen. And I thought the characterisation and romance were just daft.
    In the end there was just nothing that surprised me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I found that series, rather dry but is memorable.
    I enjoyed his historical/fantasy crossover - "Soldier of the Mist" set in Ancient Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I found them an enjoyable read, the writing style settles down about halfway through SOTT, the plot gets quite intricate as the series develops. Remember it is from the perspective of a fairly naieve chap sent out into the world, so everything will seem fairly simple at first !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I read Shadow and Claw and found it very hard to get through. On the other hand I have read all of Robin Hobb's books and find them a great read. That reminds me I think her the 3rd book of the 'fool' series is suppoosed to be out now. Cant wait! Ahh Fitz!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by keno-daytrader
    That reminds me I think her the 3rd book of the 'fool' series is suppoosed to be out now. Cant wait! Ahh Fitz!

It is, and I liked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Just got it on shop st in Galway, cant wait to get into it!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement