Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Shock - BUT GOOD!

Options
  • 23-02-2004 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Some one told me car insurance prices had actual dropped in the past few weeks, so i decided to get a quote for a car that was left to me.

i am only 23, just passed my test, and have only 1yrs no claim bonus.

The car, an old 1992 Ford Sierra, 1.8TD. ONLY E3000, it was over E7000 last year, and you cant say that is down to me being a year older.

The insurance on my little Corsa was going to be 2500 a month ago (i keep checking, so that when it runs out i will have enought money), its gone down to just under E2000!

is some1 messing with me, or might the cost of insurance have finaly stopped balloning into oblivion!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

E2000 on a corsa at 23 is still pretty expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

wont argue with that, but its only my second year of insurance on my own.

i was just in serious shock over the sierra, i know its an old car, but i was under the assumption, the dont take the age into account so much, mainly the enigine size, and its a fair jump from 1l corsa to 1.8td sierra,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

they seem to fluctuate every couple of weeks, especially online quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This year I moved from Axa to Quinn Direct .... Axa - €1200, QD - €960 (Male, 29, 1.3lt, 3 yr old car)

I was €1800 last year, so thats almost half the premium. (Now THATS a good shock :))

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Me got pleasant surprise too when I got my renewal notice in the post last week;
    Last year prem: €1370
    This year prem: €900
    Fully comp, no claims bonus protected, driving other cars.
    Car: '98 Volvo S40 1.8L
    Area: Louth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I got a decent quote from axa.

I think it was €1670

TPFT

1.4l Citreon Xsara.

Down from €2700 !

Slaan.

Edit: 22 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

ARB Underwritings Ltd.

Age 22
    99 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8L T-Spark
    Value €8000
    Driving since 17
    First Private Policy
    Fully Comprehensive

Before 31st Jan 2004
    €4,500

After 31st Jan 2004
    €2,800

Needless to say I waited the 3 odd weeks after buying the car to go for the latter. :)

So yea, prices are coming down I'd say.

Also, the introduction of the Personal Injuries Assessment Board should take prices down in the near future. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see the insurance companies sit back and make more money off their legal offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Who did you get that insurance with clown man ?
    I was looking at quotes and for a

99 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8L T-Spark
    Iam aged 22 with 3years no claims i was quoted €3800 with AXA Hibernian quoted €4000.

How do you find the Alpha I was thinking of getting one of them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by BabyEater

How do you find the Alpha I was thinking of getting one of them .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My insurance is'nt up for renewal until end of August! Bah!

Still at the rate prices are falling they may be paying me! :ninja:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally posted by mike65
    My insurance is'nt up for renewal until end of August! Bah!

Still at the rate prices are falling they may be paying me! :ninja:

Mike.
    Ditto.

I turned 30 in Jan and got online quotes based on that out of interest. €750. Years renewal premium last august. €1300. If my age made such a differance why could they not base august-january on age 29 and jan-august this year on 30yo. :rolleyes: So I'm paying a 29yo premium for the full year when I've only have been 29 for the first four months of it. I also missed the penalty point reduction that came in in sept '03 :rolleyes: I think I remember hearing about another reduction for some reason coming this summer which that online quote of 750 wont have taken accuont of, so by rights I should be paying even less come next august. Whats the bets my renewal figure stays at 1300 unless I ring them and threaten them that I'll take my business elseware. I would have changed last year because I got a quote of 1000 from the aa but never followed it through due to a family bereavement and let the Hibo auto renewal go through. I swear to god if my insurance isn't 600 in august I'm going to sell the car and walk! :D:D

Advertisement