Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to PCAnywhere

Options
  • 23-02-2004 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap alternatives to PCAnywhere???. It has to be pretty idiot proof as well because of who will be dealing with it.

I know of VNC, but that requires the users inputting a hostname or IP address. I'd prefer a PCAnywhere like
    solution where once the program is run, the configured
    clients would appear in a window and the user only has
    to click on the required client for the connection to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I`m sure you could make a VNC .bat file

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some of the code forks allowed this - IIRC tight vnc created a file which included the password encrypted and IP address.

Must look it up sometime - very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I use VNC to dial into my aul folks computer to fix and/or teach ... have VNC start as a service so its always in the system tray ... then when they want you to dial in to fix something or show them something get them to (disable firewall if you are have a dynamic ip address, make a rule to allow your IP if you have a fixed one) open a dos box and type ipconfig and tell you the ip (or simpler, put the mouse pointer on top of the VNC icon in the system tray and it shows the ip) ... and then just dial in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Cheers, Netop was just what I was looking for...
    There's no price list with it, but I've made contact
    with them to try and get a quote...

• Advertisement
Advertisement