Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vienna / Bratislava

• 23-02-2004 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Anyone know any good spots in Vienna / Bratislava , also info on decent accomodation in both cities. Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's quite a while since I was there, but at the time the only bar worth going to in Bratislava was Charlie's Bar, in the basement of a cinema in the middle of town. The rest of the city was pretty grim but Charlie's was a genuinely buzzing spot. Hopefully it's still going strong.

As regards Vienna.
    I was there last year and to be honest I'd have to recommend the Radisson considering...

They upgraded us to a suite ! That had a living room with a sofa and armchairs, two showers , two tv's and a stairs between the two parts and access to the gym and posh breakfast area.

T'was a damn nice hotel too, very central :)

Bratislava as far as I can remember is within reasonable driving distance of vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Charlie P's and Flanagans seem to be the more popular irish bars in Vienna. If you want something Austrian then around the Karlplatz there are a few cafe type places that seem ok (that's also very near flanagans). About 10min walk from there is Mariahilfer Straße. That's also got quite a lot of places and seems quite lively.

For late night drinking, (discos and really late bars) I've heard of some area (Can't remember the name but I think it's a market (something-markt) but it's a bit away from the centre. Ask people in the other bars and they should know.

As for bratislava, there's an Irish bar just off the main square that's supposed to be very lively. As for something local I dunno. Bratislava is about 30 mins from Vienna by train, depending on the type of train you get.

How long are you going for? If it's longer than a weekend, a night in Graz might be a good idea. That's the student city in Austria and is supposed to be very lively. It was also the European cultural capital last year (but then again hadn't Cork got that a while back too!).

For accomodation go to a tourist office and they'll book it and all for you. They'll have accom in all price ranges. If you want to book before you go use google.
    Hostels are cheapest, then guesthouses (Gasthaus, Pension) which are usually as good as 3 star hotels and cheaper, and finally hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Danube hotel in Bratislava was pretty good and central, but then most things in Bratislava are central, it's just like a mini prague.

Was there at Xmas and a lot of the bars can be tough to find, as they are basement bars, however the Irish bar was ok, and there were some great chill out bars - Radost especially. Certainly plenty of life and bars though, just not so easy to find - listen out for music as you walk around.

If you want something else to do, the Opera and Concert are very reasonable and really a worthwhile experience.

As for Vienna, was there at New Years not really sure about night life - but I can tell you it is stupidly expensive - especially the Sacher hotel. Music museum is worth a visit above all else.

JAK.

Originally posted by Jak
    but I can tell you it is stupidly expensive - especially the Sacher hotel. Music museum is worth a visit above all else.

JAK.
    ah yes the sacher hotel,much like the plaza in new york
    It's a must see institution in Vienna though, pop in for a coffee and some light eats in the Bar area overlooking the street.
    We were politely told our custom wasn't wanted in the fancy restaurant also in another part of that hotel there... O_o :D

As regards night life, yes theres plenty all in the centre , lively enough, everything from salsa cuban type clubs to well... hooters :p within walking distance around the market area that imposter talks about - I cant remember the name either as my german is atrocious, but it's all in the centre so easy to stumble upon it.

Word of warning though-Booze is Very expensive, from what I can remember,even by Dublin standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Earthman
    Word of warning though-Booze is Very expensive, from what I can remember,even by Dublin standards.
    No it's not. Unless of course you were drinking in Nightclubs (read strip club/brothel type place).

Beer should be between 3 - 3.50 in a bar, guinness and irish drinks will be expensive all right. Discos are a bit more expensive as well. Shots will seem cheap but the shot is smaller (2cl). So if you get a double (nearer the irish measure) then it'll be a bit more. Bottles will be similar to draught beer prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Thanks lads . I am going for a week in April , sending a few days in Vienna and taking in a football match and then heading on to Bratislava for three days for the Slovan Inter Bratislava derby.

Originally posted by Imposter
    No it's not. Unless of course you were drinking in Nightclubs (read strip club/brothel type place).
    Insinuations :D ( but theres a good chance you'd be right...LoL)
    Was drinking shorts mainly when out and beer back at the hotel and in an Irish bar which was €5 a bottle :eek:

That compares to €3.05 for a full pint of guinness in my local.

Advertisement