Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop graphics cards? Dell Fx5200 64ddr or Acer Ati 9600 64ddr

• 24-02-2004 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Im debating between 2 laptops. A dell and an Acer.

Which of the above graphics cards is the better?

I`d love the Ati in the dell, but they dont do the 64 version, just the 1289600 Pro which is E115 extra and over my budget.

Any opinions. Any1 have the 5200 that could let me know how it performs games wise. Will it handle games that need hardware T+L like No one lives forever2, for example.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The Fx5200 is a pretty crappy card, it does handle Hardware T&L. It should be ok for playing games on lower settings....

The Mx440 outperforms the Fx5200 (in Dx8 games which is on all games today, newer ones have dx9 aswell). Playing games on a laptop ?? You could just get a shuttle and a nice little carry case??

If you can get a Ti card that would be much much better....... heres just a few benchmarks comparing ti to an Mx440 (old model) and a Ti4200...

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/MSI/FX5200/page7.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Shuttle is out of the question. I need a laptop, and whilst it wont be primarily a gaming machine, i want to be able to play the like of Vetcong / call of duty and good old Cs, now and then.

Ill forget about the Fx5200 then, ifs its only a glorified Mx400 series.

The Acer im looking at is as follows:

Acer
    Aspire 1501LCe
    15" XGA screen
    Athlon 3000+ 64Cpu
    512 Ram
    40 HD
    dvd/cd combo
    Wired Lan 10/100/1000
    ATI 9600 64ddr dedicated

E1603 off Elara http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE911547&productID=0

Dell
    Inspiron 8600
    15.4" Wxga 1280 * 800 ultra sharp wide aspect
    M - 1.4 Ghz
    512 Ram (333 speed)
    40 HD
    dvd/cd combo
    True mobile 1300 802.11 a/b/g
    3in1 card reader(wotever that is??)
    ATI 9600 128ddr dedicated

E1700 from Dell
    ACER:
    Pros
    class CPU
    decent enuf graphics
    card reader yoke

Cons
    just XGA screen
    lesser build quality???
    No wireless, i think?

DELL:
    Pros
    Class build quality!
    Class graphics
    Wireless stuff

Cons
    Lesser CPU
    Dearer ( but the better graphics + screen + build wud be worth the extra E100??)

Anyone care to help me decide? The Acer would meet my needs and i like the E1600 price tag, but what are their screens like? And im wary of there build quality. Dont see many of them around. If i could get the Acers graphics card in the Dell for say E1650 or less, i`d get the Dell for definitely. The Dells Fx5200 seems too low and the 128 Ati is over-kill for me, i reckon. An all-rounder is what im after.

COL_LOKI,,,, whats ur opinion? Which lappie would u sway towards.....?

hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well Acer are huge aswell, so im sure there build quality has to be pretty decent. Im personally not much of a dell fan although they are improving.....

Games wise the Acer is going to be a definite winner, that CPU is a serious performer. The graphics engine is the same in both (9600) so you wont see much difference there even though there is more Ram.

Another point to think about is the batteryLife, is that important to you or are you going to have it plugged in most of the time. The dell with the 1.4m processor means its lighter on the battery. The 1.4m isint that bad of a processor and performs better than a 2ghz P4 desktop chip due to different architecture.

Wireless is nice if you have purpose for it, if not then its not an awfull lot of use . Weigh up what you want to use it for mainly , if thats a good ammount of games while she is plugged in then the Acer might be the better choice (and save €100). If your going to be using it on the go a good ammount then think about going for the dell.

Isint Wxga just a wider version of xga ?? Ie no quality difference??

Its a tough one to call....

Advertisement