Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling DirectX?

Options
  • 20-11-2000 6:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can any1 give me some info in uninstalling dx8. Dx8 is giving me sound probs (fuzzy sounds esp. when alot of rockets are going) in q3 and I was wondering how do I uninstall it so I can put back vers.7. Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Urm,

Someone told me you cant un-install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Aye, tis like DirectX 7.1 when it first came out. It wasn't possible to uninstall, you needed a mad little utility to get rid of it. I think I've seen one floating about the newsgroups for version 8. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah there is a utility that was used for uninstalling the Beta version dunno if it will work on the full version. Check out the Directx newsgroups as alot of people seem to be having problems with it at the moment.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/Direct.htm

Welcome to the DirectX Uninstaller site.
    With this tool, you can uninstall your current version of DirectX and re-install an earlier version.

You can use this utility AT YOUR OWN RISK. And only as a last resort! I've developed this little tool to help people who have had compatibility problems with newer versions of DirectX.

Please read the help file completely and make sure to restart your machine in "Safe Mode" BEFORE running it.

This tool makes changes to your registry, so PLEASE backup your "system.dat" AND "user.dat" in your C:\Windows directory.

This tool also deletes DirectX files in your C:\Windows\Sysbckup folder, so make sure to copy that folder elsewhere on your hardrive.
    Also uninstalls beta versions of DirectX on Win95. For DirectX removal on Win98 or Win98SE machines see FAQ question #17.
    NOT for use with Windows Millenium or any versions of Win NT, including Windows 2000.

Backup
    http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/dxBackup.exe

Uninstaller
    http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/DxUn12.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

WINDIsssssseeeeeeeeeee MEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, I tried installing Windies ME! ME! ME! ME! but I was laughing too much.

C'mon people, say it with me:
    Windies 2k!!! It's better than sex (with a rusty brick)!!!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

ya but be carefull because when i uninstalled it and reinstalled dx7 i "lost" 70 - 80 fps in q3, i tried looking under the couch and all but couldnt find it. so i had to reinstall winme

Advertisement