Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Shares

Options
  • 24-02-2004 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

I want to buy and sell a small amount of shares. I am new to shareholding so i want to start small. I have contacted Sharewatch.com who seem to be one of the cheapest and easiest to use(online). Anyone used them or any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've used Fexco in the past, they were cheaper than most others and it was all very straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I know AIB do online but not sure of prices yet
    will check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Hi

You should find some useful information here:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/guide/ch05.htm

There's a discussion board linked to that site as well in which people rate some UK and Irish online share dealing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Buying less than a few thousand euros at a time will mean too much will be eaten up by brokers fees etc. You should also try to spread your risk over a varity of shares and sectors. To a degree, invest in what you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

davy trade online too afaik. The wonderful davy's.

If not then you can definitely keep up to date on fluctuations. You can buy shares of them on account and get a certain period of credit, so any capital appreciation on disposals will also be credited to your account. A good way of trading, particularly if you are only starting off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

if you're just getting started, testing the water, what would be the norm to spend.

1000 euro?

I started with £1,000 however charges ate half my profit, so I would go higher. However, I would suggest you pick some shares you like, watch them for a few months, then invest.

coolaboola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by midget lord
    If not then you can definitely keep up to date on fluctuations. You can buy shares of them on account and get a certain period of credit, so any capital appreciation on disposals will also be credited to your account.
    And what about the losses? If this is a 'margin' account, they will sell your other shareholdings at will to recover losses on your account, if you slip below the agreed margin levels. It's a great way to guarantee that you sell your shares just when the market is sliding down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by RainyDay
    And what about the losses? If this is a 'margin' account, they will sell your other shareholdings at will to recover losses on your account, if you slip below the agreed margin levels.

Read the T&C's carefully then. If you actually OWN the shares and they are bought from cash they will not sell them. Margin Calls occur where you trade on credit .......in effect.

M

• Advertisement

greed is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by Muck
    Margin Calls occur where you trade on credit .......in effect.

Midget Lord was referring to purchases made on account, i.e. "You can buy shares of them on account and get a certain period of credit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Originally posted by alienhead
    coolaboola

OK you OBVIOUSLY know people i know if your using that expression....where do you live? And what age are you?

27 from dublin dude
    Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    OK you OBVIOUSLY know people i know if your using that expression....where do you live? And what age are you?

greed is good
    Greed is emotional, emotion doesn't belong in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

27 from dublin dude

You dont have friends who are 18/19 do you? More importantly, where did you hear this expression? *ponders...* :)

not sure where i got it from, all's i know is i've infected most of my mates with it. no buddies of that age dude.

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    You dont have friends who are 18/19 do you? More importantly, where did you hear this expression? *ponders...* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Thread has gone little off topic

Seems to me that there is serious opportunity for a company to offer cheap share buying services to the smaller investor...

Advertisement