Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wait times for IOL

• 24-02-2004 2:47am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So about how long did others here have to wait for their modem to be sent out?
    They said something like 10 days or so... but should I expect longer...?? it seems that Eircom take their time... so what is Esat like?

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

hi flogen,
    i ordered from iol on jan 25, and am still waiting for the modem and the line. I rang them 2 times, first time i was told that eircom were setting up the line and had told iol it would be live on the 16 feb, on the 20 feb when i had heard nothing i called again and the new girl told me that eircom hadn't given them any date and it could be another week or two. So she was basically saying the first person was lying!!(i don't know). But i'm still waiting and not holding my breath any more as apathy takes over, its a shame as i was quite exited but now i expect it will arrive and i'll be like oh yeah forgot about that.
    I've heard a wait of a month is the norm so be prepared, and especially now as the offer ends alot of folk probably took the plunge.
    sorry to go on but i would like to know if the wait is being made by eircom dragging there heels because there working for the competitor, makes sense i suppose. what a bunch of lovely guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by tammy
    I've heard a wait of a month is the norm so be prepared,

Wouldnt surprise me at all really.. Eircom only test your line once per month anyway so the database is only updated after that happens. I'm currently waiting to get my clicksilver transferred over from a line in my previous house. I've been waiting a week and a bit already for UTV to put the order through, another three weeks waiting is looking increasingly likely.

I'd hassle eircom to test my line immediately but I've been down that road before and got no satisfaction so I'm not even going to waste my precious time or breath on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah, not to suggest IOL/Esat are worlds greatest or anything, but Id expect it to be Eircom, as its their lines that have to be set up, and IOL have to wait for the line to be ready for them to give you a modem...

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I ordered advantage and bb back 6th Feb and am still waiting. Rang them bout a week ago and it took the rep awhile to find my details. I was told the oder is still being processed. Its now over 10days and ive had no word bout the phone or the bb. As tammy said, i also was excited bout getting bb but its worn off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

BTW you know that you don't own the modem, the Terms and Conditions state that upon cancellation of the service it is to be returned (wear and tear allowed) or the user will enjoy a charge of e150.

With this in mind I suggest that you keep it in good condition when you do get it, perhaps even return it? and get your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ordered in late jan, they lost the order, then they found it, after complaining to the complaints board, took like 2weeks. Have a date of march 7th. Don't have all the details to hand now. Be so glad when I have it. Fingers crossed etc'

Gid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

cheers for the heads up raster, was pretty sure that was the case, so I would of been as careful as I could.... but the way my PC is set up at the moment I know it'll go for a hop at some point within the year..... Ive gotten my keyboard, moniter, speakers, kip drive, wireless mouse/keyboard reciever, mouse and stereo speaker all piled onto a little (wobbly) desk.... I think i might just stick it (literally) onto the top of the machine itself!!
    I figure that if i dont hear anything by march 10th or so (which i expect not to have) i'll start hastling them and/or Eircom.... i think 20 days is enough time to give them before I get bitchy

Flogen

greeeaaatttt, just got on to iol as its been over a month now and they kindly inform me that there has been a problem, those ejits at eircom got back to them saying that the line was already being used for broadband. I think i might know about that as i've been using dial-up for 2 years at my place and the other peeps in the house don't even have a pc. grrrrr. so now i'm gonna have to wait while they all scratch there heads. i said to the guy on the phone, its already set up, good gis me modem and were off, but no.

My advice is keep chasing them up.
    They screwed up my order too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I ordered mine before Christmas and still nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Roller Toaster
    I ordered mine before Christmas and still nothing...

Contact Complaints, a few guys here in work had the same problem (ordered in December, still nothing mid February), I got them to contact complaints and they had it sorted out and working in a few days.

If you get no joy from complaints then go straight to the top Bill Murphy, CEO of Esat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya got mine too, not long after I contacted the complaints dep.

i'm getting pretty annoyed now, i've been on to them three times in two days and its always the same we'll see whats happening and call you back in an hour or so, still haven't heard from either of the three seperate peeps i spoke to. I'm gonna give them to friday and then i'll go to complaints, eircom are saying theres some kind of problem but nobody seems to know what it is at iol. I just hope that its not my line failing as i think they might have told me that about a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I rang them up today and they said there was a problem at the final processing stage and oddly enough the guy admitted that the best way to get things moving was to just keep ringing and put "consumer pressure" on them. I'll try again on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭brophy

dont undestand how it could take so long for youself as it only took me 8 working days from time of ordering to get my modem and be up and running...

Advertisement