Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Gerard Houllier be sacked as liverpool manager????

• 24-02-2004 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

As i am a liverpool fan through and through the question must be if Gerard Houllier should be sacked as liverpool boss. I my eyes yes he has been given his time and now its time for a new era!!!!!!!!!

Should Gerard Houllier be sacked as liverpool manager???????? 37 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Yes, but the topic has been flogged to death here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well George Bush has a popularity rating of 48% while Houllier's is just 10% so there is no choice really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Of course he should - can't understand why he doesn't resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He should definitely be replaced. I don't know why he doesn't resign but even if they get into Europe next season he should walk or be pushed. LIvepoll wil than have to go into a rebuild phase as there are too many average players in the squad.
    With the tradiotion they have they should be serious challengers on all fronts and I would love to see those days return( but with United winning out this time of course). If there were 4 or five serious challenger for the title it would make for a great league with each team taking points off each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I think there should be some sort of amicable decision reached between the club and Houllier for him to "leave". He did after all make good progress with the team in the first 3 years of his reign and brought (call it mickey mouse all you will) some silverware, which is something the club had lacked for the previous 5 or 6 years. So I don't think he should just be sacked outright.

Hopefully Houllier will have the good sense to resign at the end of the season, 4th place or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If Houllier knows whats good for him, he'll resign. However, he seems to have the misguided belief that he is the man to turn things around at Liverpool. God knows what all this is doing to his ticker - hes already had one heart scare already, and that was when the team was doing well.

He's in a no-win situation. Even if he delivers Champions League football next year (and I actually think he will), it will still have been a massively disappointing season for Liverpool, and they have definitely showed no signs of progress whatsoever. He chooses to blame this on Owen's injuries, but the fact is that Liverpool's poor season is not just down to one player's injury. It's Houllier's job to motivate the team, and the players at the moment look as though they just want to avoid an embarrasing defeat every week.

You know you've got to go when you stop hearing calls for you to be "given more time", etc. Make it easy on yourself Gerrard (and the rest of us). Go now, before you're sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He should be given until the end of the season. If he qualifies for the CL, give him until Christmas.

I think he gets a lot of unfair criticism. He doesn't have the same depth in squad as United, Chelsea or Arsenal and yet has rarely been able to field a first choice team all season. And while he has made some questionable buys, he's also made some great ones. If Owen stays to partner Cissé, and we can strengthen our central defence and get another Hamann-type player, we'll do well next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

He doesn't have the same depth in squad as United, Chelsea or Arsenal and yet has rarely been able to field a first choice team all season

Whos fault is it he doen't have the same depth of squad?
    He has spent over 100M on players - most have been flops.

Even over the last few weeks when he had a full squad they have been rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Liverpool's problem is that Houllier keeps doing just enough to hang onto his job. He always manages to avoid that 3-game loosing streak, putting in one good performance which staves off the chop for another 3 weeks, only to repeat the same cycle again and again. Liverpool have to wake up to this, and see that they're never going to improve with this man at the helm. Unfortunately there's nobody available to replace him if they sack him right now, and they'll have to wait until June for Martin O'Neill, if they even get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Unfortunately there's nobody available to replace him if they sack him right now

there is loads of managers available to take over ... ;)

he has to go..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by kida
    Whos fault is it he doen't have the same depth of squad?
    He has spent over 100M on players - most have been flops.

Do you remember the squad Liverpool had when Houllier arrived? The likes of David James, Phill Babb and Karlheinz Riedle were first-choice players. There were a handful of players who deserve a place in a CL-quality side, if even.

Sure, Houllier spent £125million+, but he had to build an entire squad. And while players like Diouf and Diao haven't performed, what about Hyypia and Henchoz? Harry Kewell, Jon Arne Riise, Steve Finnan, Dietmar Hamann? Le Tellac and Pongolle? Kirkland and Dudek? Cissé (hopefully!)? All of those are players are capable of holding down a place in a top side, and most cost relatively little.

I'd remind all Liverpool fans who whinge that we're not as good as the Liverpool of 20 years ago to remember that we're a far better side than we were 7 years ago.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He has been given his five years to win the Premiership as he promised, and he is even further away from it now than he was then. I think if Liverpool are going to do any better it will be without Gerard Houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No he shouldnt be sacked, he should be run out of anfield by a pack of hungry dogs

This is his purchase record

Houllier Buys

Jean Michel Ferri £1.5m who?
    Frodde Kippe £700k who?
    Song £2.7m crap
    Traore £500k bought in 99, only playing now, still crap
    Hyypia £2.6m good buy
    Camara £2.8m where is he now?
    Henchoz £3.5m good buy, fading a bit
    Westerveld £4m need I say it?
    Hamann £8m good buy but not worth 8m
    Smicer £4m you either love him or hate him…..
    Heskey £11m when on form he’s great but will he ever find form
    Diomede £3m He’s French he’s got to be good right
    Ziege £5.5m I liked him but he’s gone now
    Vignal £500k who?
    Sjolund £1m as above
    Biscan £5.5m No great shakes
    Riise £4 good buy
    Baros £3.4 spilt opinion of him, give him time I feel
    Dudek £4.85m Dud-ek more like it
    Kirkland £6m See I do buy English players
    Le Tallec
    Pongolle £6m combined dont think either are worth that yet
    Xavier £800k scored against everton and then……
    Diouf £10m Bum
    Diao £5m Bench warming bum
    Finnan £3.5m would be nice to see him injury free
    Kewell £5m Ideal for our left winger problem, so he plays on the
    Right under houllier
    Babbel Free Has he been given a chance?
    Luzi Free Another French import…. For what
    Peggy Free as above
    Medjani ?? as above
    Litmanen ?? Good bit of a season
    Barmby ?? Where is he now?
    Anelka Loan So we get rid of goal scoring nic and buy diouf
    McAllister Free Finger in the dyke stuff
    Heggem £3.5m good buy (with evans) shame about the injuries
    Meijer Free why free, never scored a league goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I voted no, I want GH to leave of his own accord in the Summer. He definitely needs to go but I don't want to see him sacked....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Hopefully he stays and Liverpool continue as they have the last few years . i wouldnt even call the current crop of players under achievers as they are not as good as the top few team. Overall Houllier has spent badly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by Nuttzz

He's Mad, He's Red! He's off his ****ing head! Erik Meijer. Even though he only made it as a player in the reserve squad the guy has been somewhat of a cult hero. Anyone remember the celebration he did after scoring a goal in a reserve game when 3-1 up afair? He really was passionate about the club but never in reality was good en ough to play at the top level. Even after leaving the club he turned up in Dortmund for the UEFA final in his old shirt from his time at the club drinking with the fans and singing with them in the town square. He is in the german 2nd division atm. Scored the winner recently for his club vs Bayern Munich in the german cup ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Looking at that list, you'd almost imagine GH deciding to buy a load of cheap young french lads on the offchance that one of them is the next Anelka or Viera..... that list is mad.

Bad news guys, GH says he won't quit and fully expects to be Pool manager next season
    "I will not walk away. I am strong and still have goals. I expect to be manager next season because we will reach our targets.

"I think we will achieve our objective of Champions League football and the board know what we have turned around and that we are on the right track."
    Source here.

The guy is mad... I really mean it, he's nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    No he shouldnt be sacked, he should be run out of anfield by a pack of hungry dogs

This is his purchase record

Houllier Buys

Jean Michel Ferri £1.5m who?
    Frodde Kippe £700k who?
    Song £2.7m crap
    Traore £500k bought in 99, only playing now, still crap
    Hyypia £2.6m good buy
    Camara £2.8m where is he now?
    Henchoz £3.5m good buy, fading a bit
    Westerveld £4m need I say it?
    Hamann £8m good buy but not worth 8m
    Smicer £4m you either love him or hate him…..
    Heskey £11m when on form he’s great but will he ever find form
    Diomede £3m He’s French he’s got to be good right
    Ziege £5.5m I liked him but he’s gone now
    Vignal £500k who?
    Sjolund £1m as above
    Biscan £5.5m No great shakes
    Riise £4 good buy
    Baros £3.4 spilt opinion of him, give him time I feel
    Dudek £4.85m Dud-ek more like it
    Kirkland £6m See I do buy English players
    Le Tallec
    Pongolle £6m combined dont think either are worth that yet
    Xavier £800k scored against everton and then……
    Diouf £10m Bum
    Diao £5m Bench warming bum
    Finnan £3.5m would be nice to see him injury free
    Kewell £5m Ideal for our left winger problem, so he plays on the
    Right under houllier
    Babbel Free Has he been given a chance?
    Luzi Free Another French import…. For what
    Peggy Free as above
    Medjani ?? as above
    Litmanen ?? Good bit of a season
    Barmby ?? Where is he now?
    Anelka Loan So we get rid of goal scoring nic and buy diouf
    McAllister Free Finger in the dyke stuff
    Heggem £3.5m good buy (with evans) shame about the injuries

I agree some of his buys have been atrocious but you are being a little hard on GH here.

Hamann was worth 8mil, he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premiership, admittedly his last two seasons have been poor.

Westerveld was and is a decent keeper, scapegoated by Houllier for two mistakes. Dudek is a good keeper, prone to the odd mistake, but aren't they all??

Le Tallec and Pongolle are only 20, in time I think they will certainly repay the investment made, both are very promising players.

McAllister was an inspired acquisition for the one season, he was the star of Liverpool's 2001 season, in which they did win five trophies, if you recall, very unfair to describe him as 'finger in the dyke stuff'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Indeed, i did like McAllister. however you dont build a team with old players and GH is telling us its all about building a team, hence the finger in the dyke comment. After the 2001 season we expected, quite rightly, to improve more so, we havent. We have not shown the some level of consistency that Man U or Arsenal have shown year in year out. So its time for someone to do that.... O'Neil anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I judge the man on his own promises then he has to go, if I just judge him on the last 3 games he has to go!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He isn't as bad a manager as a lot of people make out but i think he needs to be replaced. He doesn't seem able to improve Liverpool any further. Tactically he isn't able to consistently compete with the big boys and he is hardly fantastic in the transfer market. I think he has brought Liverpool as far as he can, they need a new manager if they want to take them to the next level, which given their history they really should be at.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by mike65
    If I judge the man on his own promises then he has to go, if I just judge him on the last 3 games he has to go!

Mike.

I heartily endorse this product and/or service :D

Advertisement