Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Modem Thru The Router

• 24-02-2004 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

I got BB setup last week and I've pretty much gotten everything working now. My setup is as follows.
    Netgear WGT624 wireless router [2systems wired /1 wireless]
    DLink 300G+ Modem in the internet port to my NS line.

Question I have, is there anyway to access the modem thru the router? I can't even ping it by ip. Router is on 192.168.1.1 [dhcp for systems in the range] and modem is on 192.168.0.1

Also if anyone has any experience with this router disconnecting can they post any info on it too please.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Why do you need to access the modem, there shouldn't be any need. I have that modem and it works fine through my router. But AFAIK there is no way to access it through the router. If you needto just plug it directly into your PC for configuration, but that should be all you'll need to do. The router should handle the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I have a D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem and Netgear WGR614 wireless router setup.

I set the IP address on the router to 10.0.0.1 and can access the modem at 192.168.0.1 through a web browser - I have my IOL account details stored on the modem. You can also telnet the D-Link modem and get access to a whole load of its OS system commands.

Disconnection problems - I just leave Kazaa lite running while the computer is switched on so am always connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

At times when the router dc's because of things I'd be doing it's quite hard to get it to reconnect. Also the modem has snmp built in which I was intending on using for MRTG.
    butts, I tried that ip setup and I couldnt get to it. It simply times out and cant be found. Telnet, ping none of it is working and getting to the modem. Any suggestions?
    As for the disconnect problems it the router which dc's the modem and takes ages to get it to reconnect. The modem when on it's own, it runs grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Can you ping the modem without your router? I was talking to someone from IBB and they said something about filtering which ment you had absloutly no access to the modem at all. Not sure if I understood him right tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Ryaner, the DSL-300G+ remembers the MAC address of the NIC it was connected too when first configured. If you originally configured the modem by connecting it directly too your PC, then you need to clone the MAC address of your PCs NIC onto your routers Internet port (I read this on http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ but didn't use this approach myself). An alternative is too reset the modem, set the IP on the router to something like 10.0.0.1, connect modem to router and then configure the modem through a web browser at 192.168.0.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I can ping the modem without the router and get the web interface.
    Once the router is in the mix I can't ping or get the web interface.

I know able the mac address. You can delete the account thru the interface and let the router setup the account so it's address is used. I've had that ip setup and few others and none of them have aloud me to access the modem directly.

Advertisement