Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Legends... ?

• 24-02-2004 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Over the last number of years - has any one noticed that the current football *stars* (Henry, van Nistelrooy etc) will not be as well remembered as Maradona, Cruyff, Pele etc..

tbh I dont think I will be telling my children about how great van Nistelrooy was for scoring 40+ goals a season... but how great Maradona was leading his country Argentina to a World Cup and leading Napoli to a league title...

Modern Football *stars* will never be a legend?

:dunno:

Modern Football *stars* will never be a legend? 22 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 11 votes
    Dont Care...
    50% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Alan Shearer is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Is the air of mystery gone, because we see them week in and week out, and in full colour not grainy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

zinidine zidane will go down as a legend imo
    henry too if he keeps it up and if arsenal win a european cup in the next few years

ruud a legend though, i dont think so
    shearer is legend but only in english terms, he wont have the worldwide appeal plus he won feck all apart from the one league title with blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Zidane, Kahn, Shearer, Larsson, Ronaldo, are/will be legends once their time comes, each for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Keane is a legend - one of best player of his generation.

Other recent United players that have are capable of being legends are Cantona and Schmeichel.

Zidane is a legend.

Players not legends are Shearer,Larsson,Henry(ffs jank what has he done)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by kida
    Keane is a legend - one of best player of his generationOther recent United players that have are capable of being legends are Cantona and Schmeichel. .
    Agree, Schmeichel to a lesser extent.
    I'd say Celtic fans might disagree with you about Larsson

Other recent United players that have are capable of being legends are Cantona and Schmeichel.

so you think henry cant be a legend (thats what i said "could be") but you think cantona already is even though he did nothing in europe and for his country!

yea you make sense alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Cantona is the player most people acknowledge turned Utd into the force they are now. He was the catalyst for that squad.

Cantona is the player most people acknowledge turned Utd into the force they are now. He was the catalyst for that squad.

so why not include dennis bergkamp into the legend status

one of the most skillfull players ever to play the game and his touch and first time passes are second to none
    also raised the bar to what type of football was going to be played by arsenal

a transition from the boring boring arsenal of old to the slick and eligant class you have from them today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Alan Smith is a legend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

cantona will be remembered for what he did, the flying kung-fu kick at the Crystal Palace fan not for football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

Cantona is a ledgend(and a movie star), Zidane will be, Giggs and Beckam will probably be remembered for a long time because of wonder goals, Henry and Van Nist have alot to do but Berkamp is on the brink of it. Keane will definitly be talked about for a very long time in Ireland and Sherar in England but i dont see them aclaiming world wide status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by bdiddy
    Cantona is a ledgend(and a movie star), Zidane will be, Giggs and Beckam will probably be remembered for a long time because of wonder goals, Henry and Van Nist have alot to do but Berkamp is on the brink of it. Keane will definitly be talked about for a very long time in Ireland and Sherar in England but i dont see them aclaiming world wide status.

You dont need to have worldwide status to be a legend to your own fans. Plenty of players will be considered legends by their own Fans. I believe Ole Gunnar Soljskar will be a legend for united fans when he hangs up his boots but he isn't exactly considered to be a superstar. Cantona is without doubt a legend to the vast majority of united fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In Africa players like George Weah will be considered legends.
    In Europe Players like Raul and Maldini will go down as legends.
    In Eastren Europe there is stoitchkov, Boban and Shevchenko will be remembered for a long time.
    In south America Players like Ronaldo, Romario and Battistuita will be remembered as legends.

Are any of them as good as Franco, Bechembuar or Mradona?
    I think some of them are just as good if not better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by The Muppet
    You dont need to have worldwide status to be a legend to your own fans. Plenty of players will be considered legends by their own Fans. I believe Ole Gunnar Soljskar will be a legend for united fans when he hangs up his boots but he isn't exactly considered to be a superstar. Cantona is without doubt a legend to the vast majority of united fans.

I agree, I also think that in Milan Costacurta, Gattausso and Rossi will be legends.
    In London Adams, Parlor and Keown.
    And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If Henry is on the way to being a legend, then so is Horseface. On that, Micheal Owen is on the same path!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    If Henry is on the way to being a legend, then so is Horseface. On that, Micheal Owen is on the same path!!!

If Horseface finished today he would be considered a legend at OT for his scoring rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Originally posted by Seaneh
    In Africa players like George Weah will be considered legends.
    - Ba? Okotcha? Ekoku?
    In Europe Players like Raul and Maldini will go down as legends.
    -Vieri? Vialli? Deschamps? Viera?
    or..Gullit & Klinsman, or are these two already legends?
    In South Amercia everyone will remember the former Columbian Captain's Afro, if not his name!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You cannot tell who will be a 'legend' without hindsight. Legends need that extra touch of mystique/charisma/appeal/infamy/whatever to elevate them to that special status.

Gazza had it, Maradonna had it, Pele, Best, Cryuff, Cantona, McGrath etc etc.

Simply being very good at scoring goals does NOT guarentee you legend status. Just ask Jimmy Greaves. Something tells me that RVN falls rather nearer to Shearer and Greaves than Cryuff and Moore.

As has been said, different clubs and regions of the world have their own legends.

(Interesting side note, Liam Brady is a legend in Italy - 10 bonus points for knowing why)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Cantona

and forgive me but this... but who's going to forget the name "beckham" ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Both Maldini and Zidane are the only 2 players playin at the moment who in my opinion have reached legend status and that would fint into a team of the all time greats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

Originally posted by Dustaz

(Interesting side note, Liam Brady is a legend in Italy - 10 bonus points for knowing why)

cos he's cooler than cool
    ice cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Both Keanes.
    Larsson.
    Khan.
    Henry.
    Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Maldini is and will be a world wide legend.

Different players will be legends in there own club or country as has been stated earlier.
    Interesting side note, Liam Brady is a legend in Italy - 10 bonus points for knowing why

Is it because he won 2 scudettos with Juventus? Or when the last day of the season when Juventus needed to win to secure the scudetto, they were awarded a penalty in the last few minutes and Brady stepped up and slotted it in (when he knew he was leaving for Inter and was going to be replaced with Platini if I am correct)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    Or when the last day of the season when Juventus needed to win to secure the scudetto, they were awarded a penalty in the last few minutes and Brady stepped up and slotted it in (when he knew he was leaving for Inter and was going to be replaced with Platini if I am correct)?

10 bonus points to you sir :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Tellox
    and forgive me but this... but who's going to forget the name "beckham" ?

of course the thread title is Football legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Time creates Legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I think people are very nostalgic when it comes to football. Alot of people will forever be thinking "it's not like the good ol' days". In about 10 years time people will be saying that stars of then were no Zidane or Maldini etc. I think you can't really compare footballers from different generations anymore, the game has changed too much. IMO I think every generation will have different legends and they'll always be compared to past generations legend which IMO they should'nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Henrik Larsson was NOT a football legend, he was a Celtic legend. Lots of football fans in many countries around the world would know very little, if anything, about him.

Doubt there are very many legends around these days. But as Sposs said, time creates legends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by DEG viper
    Both Maldini and Zidane are the only 2 players playin at the moment who in my opinion have reached legend status and that would fint into a team of the all time greats

Gotta agree with Zidane, not sure about Maldini, fantastic player but his profile worldwide isn't legendary IMO....I'd probably throw in Romario and Ronaldo too, I do think that the modern day game will produce less football legends and more pop-star type individuals like Beckham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Legends in Football irrespective of who you support?

Of those currently playing I could only confidently say Zidane...

I think Roy Keane, Shearer, Maldini, Schmeichal would be the closest to him...

maybe Bergkamp too, maybe Nedved, maybe Viera...

some others who are still young (ie Henry) might get there, but I figure the above are the closest... I can't see any of the current generation of players touching Zidane....

Advertisement