Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing provider

• 24-02-2004 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I think I can do better than Vodafone but I am not sure. I use my phone to call the UK and France a bit and I travel to the UK also. Looking at the pay monthly tarriffs (which are impossible to compare) from the three providers, I think Meteor is the best deal. Unfortunately, they don't have GPRS roaming in place yet and won't for a few months at least.
    All things being equal and ignoring the coverage issues with Meteor in Ireland (I am around the Pale most of the time), which operator is best?
    You would think that with the smallest number of customers, Meteors network would be the most reliable. Is that true?
    When calling the operators, Meteor sounds the least professional and I find it difficult to get them to call back as promised. Is this a sign of things to come?

By the way, I would really like to put a page up on my site with information about all three providers to help people make a decision on the best option for them. Would this be useful and is anyone willing to help?
    I know the site is supposed to be about broadband but it is hard to separate voice from it and mobile voice too. Anyway, GPRS is an always on although not very high speed technology.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by iwb
    I think I can do better than Vodafone but I am not sure. I use my phone to call the UK and France a bit and I travel to the UK also. Looking at the pay monthly tarriffs (which are impossible to compare) from the three providers, I think Meteor is the best deal. Unfortunately, they don't have GPRS roaming in place yet and won't for a few months at least.
    All things being equal and ignoring the coverage issues with Meteor in Ireland (I am around the Pale most of the time), which operator is best?

If you call the UK a lot, and live around the pale then you are best choosing Meteor. With Pay later from Meteor you get the same rates for calling anyone in the UK and Ireland. They also have discounted rates to most other countries including France.

Originally posted by iwb
    You would think that with the smallest number of customers, Meteors network would be the most reliable. Is that true?

You might think that but that is not the case. They have had outages, serious network black spots and very slow network role out.
    The network isnt as bad as it was but it certainly isnt the best.

Originally posted by iwb

By the way, I would really like to put a page up on my site with information about all three providers to help people make a decision on the best option for them. Would this be useful.

Useful - yes. Mobile Tarrifs are a maze of complex rates. The more information the consumer can get on comparisons the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

So would it be wise to have a pay as you go sim from another provider for emergencies? It would be fairly painful to have to use the backup often. Would it be worth the hassle?
    Talk to me Meteor users!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Meteor are offering €100 free credit too, though when I looked in to it, it wasn't quite so straightforward. You provide the phone, they give you a sim card.

For every month you top up by €20 they give you €10 free credit the following month. This runs for a maximum of the first 10 months, by which I mean, if one month you only top up by €10, you won't get the €10 free next month and the most you get would be €90. AFAIK you will also be entitled to more free credit (I think it is €1-2 a month for topping up, and you would have free Meteor/meteor texts. As well as that I have found their rates to be cheaper for pay as you go, and for basic pay later (though O2 add-ons can be cheaper).

I am thinking of moving too, at the very least I can see my O2 bill slipping from €50 a month to €20 a month with Meteor. (However, I have also changed jobs recently, so my €50 bill would be dropping anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by iwb
    So would it be wise to have a pay as you go sim from another provider for emergencies?

Probably not worth the hassle unless you frequent west cork, donegal, kerry ...

You will almost certainly save large sums by switching to Meteor from the rip off voda o2

Advertisement