Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT done and dusted

Options
  • 24-02-2004 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi.

Passed the NCT test today. Mechanic told me yesterday i was going to fail due to my back seatbelt being "stuck". He wanted me to go to the Ford garage and get a new seatbelt E57. In temper i got in the back of my car and yanked on the seatbelt anad low and behold it works fine! Think the mechanic could have tried that!

Passed by the skin of my teeth though in regard to back suspension. Over 30% fails and i got 29%

Should i get that fixed?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if your seatbelt is knackered - the only time you need it, it will fail!
    as for your suspension - if tested tomorrow it could be 20-25%, then again it could be 35-40% - you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CAPRIcious

I could be wrong here but jus a suggestion - the seatbelts normally have a ratchet style clasp which stops the belt from going slack, sometimes this mechanism can seize, try removing the moulding covering it (they're normally screwed on and handy enough to remove) and spraying the mechanism with WD40, or if there's a physical obstruction then having the moulding off it will make removing it easier. hope thats of some help to ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

It's the middle seatbelt in the back. Never have used it so only noticed it had become stuck when i tried pulling it yesterday. Never have had more than 2 in the back of my car. btw one door is squeeking, probably from lack of use and i've put loads of oil on it and it still squeeks? any ideas.

The seatbelt seems to be alright now. It worked for the day thank god.

Thanks for the info about the suspension. Know nothing about cars. After four years driving i still don't know how to put petrol in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Going Demented
    Mechanic told me yesterday i was going to fail due to my back seatbelt being "stuck". He wanted me to go to the Ford garage and get a new seatbelt E57. In temper i got in the back of my car and yanked on the seatbelt anad low and behold it works fine! Think the mechanic could have tried that!

Exact same thing happened to me a few NCT's ago. Just because I was standing watching them like a hawk, your man comes up to me rightly assuming I'm the owner and informing me it's going to fail on rear seatbelts, saying they don't lock at all. Went to the car closing an opening all three of them about 20 times each in about 10 seconds, so he had to pass it

Would have exploded had they wrongfully failed it. I probably saved your man's life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

Originally posted by Going Demented
    Hi.

Passed the NCT test today. Mechanic told me yesterday i was going to fail due to my back seatbelt being "stuck". He wanted me to go to the Ford garage and get a new seatbelt E57. In temper i got in the back of my car and yanked on the seatbelt anad low and behold it works fine! Think the mechanic could have tried that!

Passed by the skin of my teeth though in regard to back suspension. Over 30% fails and i got 29%

Should i get that fixed?

Hell o *.*

What car do you have? You can get quality not OEM suspensions, and sometimes they are even cheaper than the Ford one. I'd get a new suspensions, because if you run over a pothole (are there any in Ireland?:rolleyes:) it can even damage your tyres, alloys, not to mention your head when you knock it into the top...

Trurl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Originally posted by unkel

Would have exploded had they wrongfully failed it. I probably saved your man's life ;)

Excellent :D

Trurl i drive a Focus 1.4

Advertisement