Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHCP service and ICS

Options
  • 24-02-2004 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need help figuring something out. I have 2 machines in the apartment, one of them has an internet connection through a 56k dialup and both the machines are plugged into a hub.

Both machines are using windows xp with sp 1 and I've configured them to use ICS to share that internet connection. It was working for a several days and now it doesn't! As far as I can see, the DHCP service on the machine with the net connection is just not assigning an ip address to the other machine. When I try to do this manually (ipconfig /renew) it will tell me it can't contact the DHCP server, connection timed out.

I know there's nothing wrong with the NIC or cables cause I can assign a static ip to both and the network will be back up. I've googled this a bit and it seems to happen often enough. So anyone got any ideas how to fix this without resorting to reinstalling windows?

Should I just ignore windows ICS and use a third party software for this like WinGate? Are there any other programs that's good for this?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.
    -CodeMonkey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    Both machines are using windows xp with sp 1 and I've configured them to use ICS to share that internet connection. It was working for a several days and now it doesn't! As far as I can see, the DHCP service on the machine with the net connection is just not assigning an ip address to the other machine. When I try to do this manually (ipconfig /renew) it will tell me it can't contact the DHCP server, connection timed out.

If you run Netstat on the machine with the Internet connection you should see a service running on port 69 which is where DHCP listens . If that port is not open then the other machine cannot obtain an IP. A firewall on the inside could block requests to that port from your LAN or replies to those requests. Disable the firewall temporarily and see what happens when you try again .

If ICS 'appears' correct but no port 69 appears in Netstat I would advise that you uninstall both Dial Up Networking (add remove programs, windows components) and the Ethernet Card (device manager , click uninstall) .

Reboot and reinstall them

Reboot and configure Dial Up Networking and test

Reboot and configure ICS

is there a port 69 now in Netstat ?

Similarly, no firewall on the client requesting an IP address should be configured to block outbound connections TO port 69 .

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Nope, nothing showing on port 69. The list of services only has a DHCP client and no sign of a server unless the the server and client are bundled into one service. So looks like no DHCP server is running! Where did it go? The machine with the internet connection belongs to my flatmate and he says he'll prob reinstall windows this evening anyway so hopefully everything should working again. Is it possible to enable and configure the DHCP server manually without having to resort to reinstalling dialup networking and the network card? Please let me know if you can for future references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ICS _IS_ the DHCP server in XP, once configured.

The IP of the machine becomes 192.168.0.1 at the same time.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Maybe it's having problems binding to the dhcp port or something.

Check your Alert log, there might be something of note in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

simply avoid dhcp by putting in static ip on pcB. 192.168.0.2/24 DG 192.168.0.1/24 DNS 194.125.133.10

• Advertisement
Advertisement