Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putin sacks entire government on live tv

Options
  • 24-02-2004 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Is it ok to post breaking news without an opinion?
    Putin dismisses entire government

Putin's announcement took Russia by surprise

Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed his government in a live television broadcast.

The surprise move comes weeks before a 14 March presidential election which Mr Putin is expected to win by a landslide.

Deputy Prime Minister Viktor Khristenko has been named as temporary replacement for Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov.

There was no immediate word on the reason for the move, but Mr Kasyanov's future had been in doubt.

[...]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When I read the title of this thread, I had a brief flashback of that Simpson's episode;

"The Soviet Union? I thought you guys broke up?"
    "Mwuhahaha! That's what we wanted you to think!"
    Cue Berlin wall instantly reappearing, Carnival floats turning into tanks.....

;)

Sorry, I thought it was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats what I like to see - a decisive President! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

The Presidential election there is next month. Putin has it sown up already and is probably looking to the next one. He's already working on some legislation to abolish the constitutional impediment that limits the President to serving 2 terms. So he sees Kasyanov as a potential threat. Fascinating country (been there several times) and an even more intriuging political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'd like to see bertie do that

Advertisement